My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
massey1635
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the patent has run out on glyphosate has anyone used any of the less expensive new formulations. I have seen a 2 1/2 gallon jug 41% glyphosate for less than $50.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I've used the "off brands" with good success. As long as the percentage is up there they seem to work fine.

Mike

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I've been using Genesis Extra II for the last couple years with success. That one is 41% Glyphosate, N-(phosphonomethyl) glycine, in the form of it's isopropylamine salt. It does just as good a job as Round-Up for a lot less money.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I have used a couple of different brands of generic. One was $77 for 2 1/2 gallons. The one I use now is $45 for 2 1/2 gallons. This one seems to work faster than Round Up. The last time I bought Round Up it was $123.

I always mix some kind of soap in to break the water tension so it doesn't bead up and run off. At the moment I am using Alberto VO5 shampoo since my mother-in-law had 75 bottles of it and we don't use it.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
I have used a couple of different brands of generic. One was $77 for 2 1/2 gallons. The one I use now is $45 for 2 1/2 gallons. This one seems to work faster than Round Up. The last time I bought Round Up it was $123.

I always mix some kind of soap in to break the water tension so it doesn't bead up and run off. At the moment I am using Alberto VO5 shampoo since my mother-in-law had 75 bottles of it and we don't use it.
Do you have the name of the $45 one ?? or which one works??

·
Brian
5 Posts
We've used Buccaneer Plus or Credit Extra for several years with no problems. They are both 41% glyphosate I beleive. I was buying it for around $25/ga. this spring, but that was in 30ga. drums. Glyphosate doesn't appear to work quickly. The weeds are dead.... they just take a while to realize it.:fing32:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Gly Star Plus is the name on the jug. It has been a long day. Left for Houston at 6am to put my wife on a plane. Way behind on the tractor forum. Saw this thread. Went back out to the barn without my reading glasses. Just finished my third glass of high octane homemade wine. BUT, I didn't put it off until tomorrow.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
From what we've been told roundup will be dropping dramatically in price. I guess since the patent has run out they have to cut the price or lose alot of the market.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
From what we've been told roundup will be dropping dramatically in price. I guess since the patent has run out they have to cut the price or lose alot of the market.
The patent on the chemical, glyphosate, expired in 2000. It's their patent on the Roundup gene in the seeds that is expiring. Not sure on the date for that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use a product called Capstone Mfg. by Dow AgroSciences. I purchased it from a local feed mill. Another local feed mill offers a product made by Ferti-Lome Products - That one i am not sure of

I hope this helps

·
Registered
231 Posts
Honcho II, took an extra 2 days, but worked fantastic.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I have used the Gly Star myself and it works. It might take several days for you to notice the plants starting to die off though.
The only complaint that I have with it, is use it up and only mix what your going to need. Do not leave some leftovers in your tank for a week to be used later like I did. After 6 days of sitting, my intake filter started plugging up with this white substance that sort of reminded me of cool grease from a skillet. The chemicals started to break down which created the messy goo.
Otherwise it's great stuff for $49.95 and I plan to purchase another 2-1/2 gallon jug to store for next spring's spraying.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts