My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Blank Space
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran fine yesterday for an hour or so. Went to start it this morning, ran for a minute or less, never really came up to speed, then stalled. Hasn't started since. It was sitting off-level overnight on a hill where I used it yesterday.

Spits, sputters sometimes, then backfires. Not sure if it might be flooded. Have tried all my tricks for other small engines, choke cleaner, starting fluid, removing plug and blowing air into cylinder and air intake. Cleaned and oiled air filter.

Nada.

For now the plug and air filter are removed and I'm letting it sit overnight on level ground. Not really sure what else to try.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
That's not a fuel pump, it is a shutoff solenoid. They put it on to prevent backfires when shutting the engine off.

Probably a bad plug. They can look OK if you check for spark with it laying on the head, but under pressure will not spark across the gap. I'd replace it - cheap and easy.

·
Blank Space
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let it sit overnight with the plug and the air filter out. Went out once or twice and pulled the rope to cycle the engine and clear anything that might have been left in the cylinder or valves.

Went out this morning, cleaned the plug again. Put it all back together, hit the starter switch and it fired right up. Ran rough for a few minutes, then started to smooth out some, but still rougher than I remember. Shut it down, drained the old gas and put fresh in and started it up again. Let it run about 15-20 minutes. Still somewhat rough, vibrating the whole unit. I don't use it very much, so I don't remember if it did that before.

I'll try to get a new plug next time I go to town, but the machine only has less than 30 hours total run time. I guess the original plug could be flaky. Gap is around .030. I have to dig the book out and see what it's supposed to be and if it tells me how to adjust the mixture.

·
Blank Space
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still something wrong. Started it a few times fine. It has an AutoThrottle where it will go to a low idle if there is no electrical demand on the generator. While it was running decent at full speed, I engaged the AutoThrottle. Speed slowed as expected, but really rough for a minute or two, then stalled. Won't restart again now.

I'll let it sit for a while again and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Remember, when troubleshooting, "New means Not Used. New does NOT mean Good."

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Heh. That ability has been taken out of our hands.

I'm guessing your rich condition may be related to poor ignition and misfires.

What is your altitude above sea level?

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
Have you tried running some carb cleaner through the system? Maybe some store brand or Seafoam? If the unit sits for extended periods, things can gum up in the carb a bit and cause these same symptoms.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts