My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '66 4400 Ford is giving me fits with the generator regulator system. I had the gen rebuilt because I knew the bearings were bad and that it wasn't charging anymore. I reinstalled it and found to still have some charging issues. I polarized it when I installed it. It seems to be charging just a little bit. It will make the warning light dim some when running. So I figured the regulator was bad. Got a regulator from a fiend and that didn't help. Figured the one from my friend could be bad. Ordered a new regulator and that one doesn't charge even a little bit. Started doing some testing and checked the continuity and ends on all wires. Everything was good. Started it up and touched 12 volt to the field wire. Instantly the Gen starts to charge. Hook up the field wire to the regulator and still nothing. Any ideas? Can anything be done to test the regulator? Also if I get too fed up will a 1 wire Delco fit on this tractor?

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
880 Posts
There should be a wire from the ignition switch to the regulator, it might even be fused. Look for poor connections.

I'm not familiar with the mechanical regulator on your 4400. But my 1100 has a mechanical regulator with an alternator. I had trouble with my regulator. There are usually multiple sections to the regulator, one section is the voltage regulation connected to the Field coil. The Field coil section gets power from the ignition switch. You can take the cover off the regulator and watch it operate. You should see one section sparking away on the field coil as you increase RPM on the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Spent almost an entire day running new wires, testing and double checking everything. Finally gave up and went to Autozone and bought a cheap alternator. Works great now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts