My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen cats around my neighborhood more than a handful of times over the past 15 years. Not sure if that's due to bigger predators, but I doubt that based on the number of rabbits I see (many of those might be living under my shed).

How do you acquire and train a feral / mouser cat in the first place?

Mike
Just get (a young) one and feed/shelter it.

With an older one it's sometimes difficult to keep them from running away to try and get back to their old 'home'. Especially if it is outdoors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I successfully kept them out of my car engine bays with ground cayenne pepper for years when parking my cars outside. As long as I kept it applied I had no rodents.

They didn't care about the spicy heat as I had NO success repelling them with homemade habanero pepper spray applied heavily--stuff would make you retch from
30ft whn spraying it lol.

I think the ground cayenne messed them up when they sniffed it up their noses and got it in their eyes.
What do you do with the pepper? Put it in a container or sprinkle it around? I don't think I want to sprinkle pepper all over the engine compartment, but I am a bit disparate.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
What do you do with the pepper? Put it in a container or sprinkle it around? I don't think I want to sprinkle pepper all over the engine compartment, but I am a bit disparate.
I did sprinkle it and it is unsightly but will blow off easily. For me it was use it or replace wiring harnesses all the time. Below is my wifes car after cleaning it out the day before. After pepper there was never another nut in there.

QoTxXPw.png

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Leave the hoods open as mice like a home with a roof over it.

·
Premium Member
9,024 Posts
I did sprinkle it and it is unsightly but will blow off easily. For me it was use it or replace wiring harnesses all the time. Below is my wifes car after cleaning it out the day before. After pepper there was never another nut in there.

View attachment 2473581
How big were those mice??? I've seen acorns, relocated insulation, paper towels, chair stuffing, etc. But NEVER sticks!

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,024 Posts
Just get (a young) one and feed/shelter it.

With an older one it's sometimes difficult to keep them from running away to try and get back to their old 'home'. Especially if it is outdoors.
Do you mean any kitten someone is giving away? Wouldn't that be domesticated?

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honda came out with this a couple of years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
How big were those mice??? I've seen acorns, relocated insulation, paper towels, chair stuffing, etc. But NEVER sticks!

Mike
Chipmunks. I think they were on meth as all that was done overnight.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Peppermint, mice hate the stuff.
Need no cats around my place. Can not stand the smell of cat urine all over the place. Dont tell me its just a male marking thing. I know better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you mean any kitten someone is giving away? Wouldn't that be domesticated?

Mike
Yes, one that someone is giving away. (or from an animal shelter -- however they usually want to charge for shots, neuter/spay etc, which is not a bad thing).

The only thing that makes them 'domesticated' is that that they are used to people and will let you approach it. The do have personalities. Some are friendly, some are miserable.

It'll need to learn where 'home' is and where the food and water will be and where there is a dry and 'secure' place to sleep.

·
Premium Member
9,024 Posts
I'm not a cat person, so to me, they're all pretty miserable, LOL. Of course, not all dogs are full of sunshine, either.

Mike

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Most likely - but now you have to be worried about the source. Shady neighbors?
This is Arkansas. Chipmunks have their own meth labs.

·
Premium Member
9,024 Posts
Reactions: Steve Urquell
41 - 55 of 55 Posts