My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
For catching multiple mice with less constant maintenance, mouse bucket traps seem to work well, as they don't get to consume the bait before falling in, and it can hold a bunch of them without needing you to reset the trap all the time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Having cats, whether house or feral, is not a solution to a mouse problem. It's kind of an old wives tale. Yes, cats are predators and yes, mice are one of their prey. But expecting your mouse problem to decline because you have cats is really wishful thinking. Mice can nest and travel in many places cats cannot. Cats may become interested if they see a mouse scurrying across the floor, or they may not. Quite a bit depends upon just how hungry the cat is and if the mouse escapes while the cat is toying with the prey. This is especially true if the outdoor cats are being fed on a timed basis, why should they hunt if the food magically appears?
A friend likely has 10-30 cats at any time living in his garage, sheds and under the house that he feeds on a daily basis. He also has a large number of mice and rats living there also.

My pole barn and barn cat disagree with you. Zero mice in there since the cat came in. Strictly a barn cat - not even a pet.
The trick is to not have them depend on you for food.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
How does it eat if the mice are gone and you're not feeding it?

Mike

·
Registered
350 Posts
How does it eat if the mice are gone and you're not feeding it?

Mike
We live on 10 acres. Mutiple times a week, we find feathers and the heads of mice laying around.

Maybe I should have clarified: - Zero alive mice

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
I need some of those cats to hang out around my RV!

Mike

·
Registered
350 Posts
I need some of those cats to hang out around my RV!

Mike
Works very well - but those poor bluebirds are really taking a hit this year. And the cat is on the heavy side....

:whistle:

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Having cats, whether house or feral, is not a solution to a mouse problem. It's kind of an old wives tale. Yes, cats are predators and yes, mice are one of their prey. But expecting your mouse problem to decline because you have cats is really wishful thinking. Mice can nest and travel in many places cats cannot. Cats may become interested if they see a mouse scurrying across the floor, or they may not. Quite a bit depends upon just how hungry the cat is and if the mouse escapes while the cat is toying with the prey. This is especially true if the outdoor cats are being fed on a timed basis, why should they hunt if the food magically appears?
A friend likely has 10-30 cats at any time living in his garage, sheds and under the house that he feeds on a daily basis. He also has a large number of mice and rats living there also.
Mice are eating cat food also when the cats are away.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Good, maybe that will fatten them up and slow them down for the cat?

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
If the cats are too fat to hunt it may be time to put them up for adoption and get some lean mean fighting machine ferals. There are always ads up for people wanting to adopt fat cats here for some reason.

CPIfoT_WgAkiwCN.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have good luck spraying Pine Sol around. I also purchased some of those little packets of pellets. They also smell like Pine Sol. I then refresh them with new Pine Sol. I put the Pine Sol in a spray bottle and spray it on the packets plus around the outside of the buildings, etc. No mice since using these.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got to wonder how many rodents are attracted by feeding the cat?
I understand the concern, but that wasn't our experience.
We had 'outside' cats on rural property for many years. They were feed in an old outbuilding that cats could get into but the dogs could not. The were only feed dry kibble.

Rarely saw mice around that building or the others on the property.

Maybe the cats knew that the kibble was 'bait' for the mice and it made catching them easier.

The dogs were also feed outside in a different location. Occasionally that would attract a raccoon. Dogs enjoyed that challenge.

·
Super Moderator
16,284 Posts
I don't like feeding wild life. Nature will take care of it. Mess with it and the natural cylce gets messed up.
Well You have a choice I don't! Household 6(the wife) is the Boss I either feed them or else Never found out what "or else" is and don't want to find out :whistle:(y)

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen cats around my neighborhood more than a handful of times over the past 15 years. Not sure if that's due to bigger predators, but I doubt that based on the number of rabbits I see (many of those might be living under my shed).

How do you acquire and train a feral / mouser cat in the first place?

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have a 1985 John Deere 212 & a 1992 318.

The mice have decided to build nests in the engine bays of both tractors.

Aside from a few barn / garage cats, what do you all recommend to deter this problem? Mothballs?

I don’t want one of those machines going up in flames.

Thanks
YES mothballs, I keep some in an old soak wired under the hood, I also have some under my auto hood, damm mice ate some of the spark plug wires, no problem since month balls.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Whatever you do, don't waste your money on D-con pellets. At my old house, we had a hand-laid stone foundation (with the anti-mouse integrity of Swiss cheese). When we first moved in, there were mice in the walls and ceilings, so loud you'd swear they were something larger (like squirrels). It was insane.

Those little buggers would empty a box of D-con weekly. Didn't seem to slow them down at all.

Snap traps (with peanut butter bait) were catching 2-3 per week. Eventually, that dropped to 1-2 per month. We didn't hear them in the walls or ceiling after a while, but never completely wiped them out.

Remarkably, never had signs of them in the house. Did find one in the kitchen once.

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
21 - 40 of 55 Posts