My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1985 John Deere 212 & a 1992 318.

The mice have decided to build nests in the engine bays of both tractors.

Aside from a few barn / garage cats, what do you all recommend to deter this problem? Mothballs?

I don’t want one of those machines going up in flames.

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
It really depends where you store the tractor and what pets you have around. Poison does not mix w/ pets, but it works, as do various traps. I've not read that mothballs or bounce dryer cloths have proven their worth in a carefully controlled study (like traps or poison) but lots of guys swear by them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tractors are stored in a 3 bay garage, concrete floor, the building is separated from my house towards the backside of property.

I’m not one for using poison around pets either.

I was told to use moth balls but I don’t know that I want those scattered around the garage or on the tractor.... I guess that’s better than a fire when mowing

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
We use tractor cab packs With some success. But a farrell cat rocked the mice. She gets food once a day and lives outside. Rabbits, squirrels and birds beware at our place.

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
I successfully kept them out of my car engine bays with ground cayenne pepper for years when parking my cars outside. As long as I kept it applied I had no rodents.

They didn't care about the spicy heat as I had NO success repelling them with homemade habanero pepper spray applied heavily--stuff would make you retch from
30ft whn spraying it lol.

I think the ground cayenne messed them up when they sniffed it up their noses and got it in their eyes.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I use a simple bucket trap... peanut butter as the bait with about 6” of water. Works every time.

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
88 Posts
I successfully kept them out of my car engine bays with ground cayenne pepper for years when parking my cars outside. As long as I kept it applied I had no rodents.

They didn't care about the spicy heat as I had NO success repelling them with homemade habanero pepper spray applied heavily--stuff would make you retch from
30ft whn spraying it lol.

I think the ground cayenne messed them up when they sniffed it up their noses and got it in their eyes.
You just better hope you don't encounter a rodent who likes his food spicy.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
The tractors are stored in a 3 bay garage, concrete floor, the building is separated from my house towards the backside of property.

I’m not one for using poison around pets either.

I was told to use moth balls but I don’t know that I want those scattered around the garage or on the tractor.... I guess that’s better than a fire when mowing
I put one of these in the shed last year. The poison is recessed within the plastic box, which should keep it away from any curious pets.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012REFL3C/

·
Super Moderator
30,949 Posts
Got one of these and with peanut butter on the one pad it's done a pretty good job, kills mice, chipmunks and moles. I do have one mouse that hasn't fallen for it....yet!! You do have to replace batteries after a couple of kills though, I can live with that!

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Got one of these and with peanut butter on the one pad it's done a pretty good job, kills mice, chipmunks and moles. I do have one mouse that hasn't fallen for it....yet!! You do have to replace batteries after a couple of kills though, I can live with that!
Was there supposed to be a link?

·
Super Moderator
16,276 Posts
I use Moth Balls In a Plastic Bag Poke some Holes In it and when the Tractor cools Off Put the Bag on top the engine and then I use this at all the entrances of My Barn Amazon.com : Exterminators Choice Small Animal Protection Rodent Repellent for Rodents, Rats Squirrels mice Nesting/Chewing-All Natural-Rats, Squirrels & Others. : Garden & Outdoor I have a Mouse right Now But he Lives In the wood chipper seems to leave the Tractors alone Now. Haven't been treating the entrances since winter as soon as I see it Leave One day I will start spraying the entrances again it really seems to work well. I'm a Pacifist now when it come to Killing creatures unless there trying to kill me that is. Wife would Kill me if I killed the Mouse because on we feed Raccoons, Possums, Chipmunks and squirrels all winter Long :)

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
We feed some of the feral cats around here..... but, they mostly make their living keeping the critter population in the barn in check. They do a fairly reasonable job..... so, they get 'treats' every now and again.

We used to get all manner of critters coming here for free food, but, I told the wife not to leave the cat food out at night..... Draws everyone and their cousin. :D

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
As I understand it, the problem with poisons is that the mouse eats it (and/or carries it away), and dies elsewhere. Any animal that then eats the dead mouse then gets sick or dies.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
30,949 Posts
I think the Ravens that ate the dead chipmunks killed by the Rat Zapper were thanking me for preparing cooked chipmunk!! :)

·
15,000 +posts!
20,323 Posts
Supposedly mice hate peppermint oil,I haven't tried it myself though...mice I seem to get don't care what you do,they build nests and eat wires and destroy things no matter what..

One tractor engine I knew mice were nesting in I haven't used in 3+ years in my shed,I poured about a quart of gas into the blower housing thru the flywheel screen,and that seems to have encouraged them to look elsewhere to nest..
Some say mice wont nest in a tractor if you start it up once a week or so..but thats not always possible after you've stored one away for the winter,and drained the gas out,or like me,my shed can't easily be gotten too after a snowfall being 100 feet out in the back yard..

I had several feral cats hanging around for years and had no mouse trouble,but they all got old and died or were killed by coyotes...miss them,but I'm not going to go look for any more either...hoping more natural predators will keep the mice population down...I have a few big hawks that hang around that have dove down and scooped up mice in my yard before..

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Having cats, whether house or feral, is not a solution to a mouse problem. It's kind of an old wives tale. Yes, cats are predators and yes, mice are one of their prey. But expecting your mouse problem to decline because you have cats is really wishful thinking. Mice can nest and travel in many places cats cannot. Cats may become interested if they see a mouse scurrying across the floor, or they may not. Quite a bit depends upon just how hungry the cat is and if the mouse escapes while the cat is toying with the prey. This is especially true if the outdoor cats are being fed on a timed basis, why should they hunt if the food magically appears?
A friend likely has 10-30 cats at any time living in his garage, sheds and under the house that he feeds on a daily basis. He also has a large number of mice and rats living there also.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
As I understand it, the problem with poisons is that the mouse eats it (and/or carries it away), and dies elsewhere. Any animal that then eats the dead mouse then gets sick or dies.

Mike
Hmmm, that's interesting. Something I hadn't really considered. Thanks. I certainly wouldn't want to hurt someone's cat.

What I like about the bait station is it can "feed" a bunch of them, and you don't have to be checking the shed every few days in the winter. But it's not perfect. Could look into the zappers. But they might have trouble dealing with >1 guest.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts