My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My JD 212 and also 110 have Kohler Engines l like kohler's they seem to start better for me any ways.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have only ever had one piece of equipment with a Kohler. It was a Troy Built HOrse model tiller.......It was a Magnum 8 hp IIRC, top of the line back when I bought it, with that motor on it. The first little bit I used it initialy it worked like a champ, but then it wold keep sputtering ans spitting and missing under a load. Carried it back to the serviceing dealer........who procalimed it fixed.........brought it home, same thing all over again.......carried it back again, and they played with it some more, changed out ignition coil, took carb apart, could not find any problems, said its fine.......wrong it was still missing and backfiring under a load..........When I asked them how they checked it under a load they said they just run em up at full throttle..........aaaaato which I replied, full throttle no load is one thing, full throttle with a load is another.....Round and round we went, until dealer basically kept ignoring me and keeping tiller for weeks at a time. I brought it home, and left it set, and borrowed a friends tiller.....Calls to Troy built only resulted in being referred to a warranty repair dealer..........So I sold it. Told the person that bought it, it has a miss at full lopad, but works pretty decent if its not loaded down...........anyway he bought it. About two weks later I get a call from the fella and he told me he took it to a delaer in his area as it started to miss and backfire at all speeds, and it wound up having a busted camshaft. When the motor got under a load the broken nub ends of the cam would shift a bit and change timing.......reduce load and cam would repostion itself back on the busted nubs and run and idle just fine......One in a million and I had to be the one that bought it.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I can not say anything good about any Tecumseh I have ever had the misfortune of owning........All my experience with the Tec line of engines, be it a L or I head has been horrible.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Putt Putts

My MTD has a single cylinder cast iron Briggs and Stratton 16 hp engine. This engine has been good. Only real problem is that the points usually have to be burnished in spring.

My MTD 10 hp chipper has a Tecumseh engine that has been good to me. I've chipped up two 70 foot willow trees(the branches to small to burn) and lots of brush.

Two riding lawn mowers(got to get those things running this summer) that have Briggs on them.

Had a home made cart with a Reo on it. That needed a coil replacement. I threw it away after I rebuilt the cam for full race, and discovered that the crank had significant wear.

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
Chipmaker, I have an MTD lawnmower with a Tecumseh that is 16 yrs old.Still starts easy and has plenty of power. uses maybe a cup of oil over the summer.
I think they all build good engines. Please understand I'm not pointing fingers, but some people have problems with OPE engines due to abuse/neglect. I've read your posts and you don't strike me as that type.
That old tec may throw a rod this summer, but I don't figure it owes me anything because all I have in it is regular oil and air filter changes.
My $.02 worth,
Mike A

1 - 6 of 6 Posts