My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Kioti SCUT
924 Posts
Not sure if that was as in depth as I need to go or not, but in the end, the outcome said that we'd be fine with 12KW, which just didn't seem right to me, as most people I believe end up with 20-24KW units?
"Whole house" to me means a lot more that 12 Kw. It depends on what you have:

electric stove - 50a @240v = 12,000 watts
electric dryer - 30a @ 240v = 7,200 watts
well pump - 20a @ 240v = 4,800 watts
central A/C - 20a @ 240v = 4,800 watts
hot water heater - 20a @ 240v = 4,800 watts
oil furnace - 15a @ 120v = 1,800 watts
refrigerator, freezer, microwave, dishwasher, toaster, hair dryer, coffee maker, washing machine = 1,200 to 1,600 watts each
plus lights & electronics

I would not get less than a 20 Kw unit, but you may not have everything on that list.

The fuel source is very important. You may want that 1,000 tank. Also, in some states propane for heating & cooking is tax exempt, but in others (like CT) propane for a generator is subject to sales tax. And if you have mixed use (stove & generator) on the same tank, the propane company has to charge you sales tax on the whole delivery.

Finally, noise is very important. Some whole house generators are very loud. Most run between 60 - 80 dBA, and there's a huge noise difference between 60 dBA and 80 dBA. You want to be able to sleep with this thing running. Cal

·
Kioti SCUT
924 Posts
@3 Legged Dog I don't know where you are getting your numbers from, most older homes only have a 100A service so according to your figures the stove with a Sunday roast in the oven and four burners on would use all the available power.
The figures came off the circuit breakers in my electrical panel.

I understand that people can run their clothes dryer on low heat. Or that they can just use one burner on their stove. Or just use one appliance at a time. That's how folks get by with a smaller generator. Cal

Reactions: JD1982

·
Kioti SCUT
924 Posts
The “db” rating is a logarithmic scale, not linear, so even an increase of a few db is a huge increase in noise/volume. Why endure the disruption needlessly when there are manufacturers who pay attention to noise attenuation?
Well said!

70 db is 10 times louder than 60 dB.
80 db is 10 times louder than 70 dB.
90 db is 10 times louder than 80 dB, or 1,000 times louder than the original 60 dB.

Honda has some very quiet generators, 52 dB to 65 dB, but most are small portables. Their inverter line is extremely quiet, <50 dB, but far too small. Cal

·
Kioti SCUT
924 Posts
I have a question about whole house generator run cycles.

I used to run a USAF maintenance shop, and we had 30+ tactical generators. We had to do a maintenance run on each quarterly, and we had to do it under a load, using a load bank.

When these whole house generators do their weekly run, do they transfer to the house for a load, or do they have some other load mechanism for the run?

Cal

Reactions: UrbanTractor
1 - 4 of 4 Posts