My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,870 Posts
My neighbor put one in last year, every Monday morning it does the weekly test and then when power is out that thing is very noisy. Of course he put it on the end of the house where my bedroom is at!
Yup. Around here they seem to get installed as close to the neighbors as possible!!

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,870 Posts
We live in the country so the noise of our Generac on its weekly testing is not a concern to me or the neighbours. It's quieter than mowing the lawn with the 1025R which I'm sure some neighbors don't appreciate. In summer months as one is outside more, the noise may be a nuisance. In the freezing winter months, your windows are closed and you ignore it, if you could actually hear it. Life is full of inconveniences, and choices. You have an option to turn your generator off or freeze in the dark for a week or longer without power. Which appeals to you more?
My comment was in response to another that encouraged the op to pay attention to noise ratings. Even if I lived in the country with no neighbors, I’d follow that advice. The “db” rating is a logarithmic scale, not linear, so even an increase of a few db is a huge increase in noise/volume. Why endure the disruption needlessly when there are manufacturers who pay attention to noise attenuation?

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,870 Posts
Yeah, I hear you - - no worries. In an urban environment we get all that various noise you describe, but from about three or four dozen properties that either directly border ours or are so close they may as well.

Leaf blowers are by far the worst nuisance noise we have to deal with on a daily basis, almost year round. The generator test runs are probably the second or third worst offenders. We have had tremendous infill re-development, and every builder now includes a builder-grade whole-house generator with the new house. “Builder-grade” is not top of the line stuff and I doubt they study the db ratings when choosing. Pretty sure it is just the low-cost option.

So there are loads of them in the neighborhood. One neighbor’s is as far away as the builder could possibly get it from the house, which puts it about 15 feet from our bedroom windows and 20 feet from our front porch. It’s a real treat to listen to.

Happy Father’s Day! I think I’ll go fire up the Yanmar diesel and do some tractoring! If you ask my neighbors, I’m probably the second biggest noise offender! 😂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts