My Tractor Forum banner

Generac or Kohler standby generator for whole house????

9K views 79 replies 40 participants last post by  RoyM 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I've brought this subject up before when we lost our power the last time, but now I can't find my old post to re-read everything.

In any event, our power went out for about 48 hours again after a storm on Wednesday morning. We just got it back. We were able to go to our other house, which is about an hour away, and had power there, but we couldn't take ALL of the food from this house to that house, because the other house only has a regular kitchen fridge/freezer combo, and we have two freezers here. So, we lost some stuff, but at least not the expensive meats and stuff.

I've already sent two emails to generator companies in my area. One to a Generac rep and one to a Kohler rep. Since it's after work hours on Friday, I suspect I'll get a call from both of them sometime on Monday.

In the thread I started a few months ago, some of the guys were recommending the Kohler over the Generac, but I forget the reasons why. I'd like to have these things fresh in my mind, and make a list, so that when I talk to the salesmen, I'll have some intelligent questions to ask them about whatever shortcomings their products may have compared to the "other brand". So, please tell me which one you guys have if you have one, and if you'd recommend it or not. I'd really appreciate it with a large investment like this.

Also, even if you don't have either one, but to have input about either of them, I'd appreciate hearing that as well. Thank you! Sooooooo tired of losing our power LOL.

See less See more
#4 ·
The whole house. If I'm going to spend the money to run essentials, I may as well do it right, and be completely comfortable. I filled out a questionnaire on the Kohler website that asks you what you'd like to power when we lose power from the grid, and I think I checked everything off that we have, including washer and dryer (which we could easily do without when the power is out), coffee pot, central air, furnace etc., just to be liberal with an estimate on how many KW we'd need. It also asks you the square footage of your house, so I thought it was pretty in depth? Not sure if that was as in depth as I need to go or not, but in the end, the outcome said that we'd be fine with 12KW, which just didn't seem right to me, as most people I believe end up with 20-24KW units?

#13 ·
20-24kw would be a pretty large unit. Around here it seems most folks who have them have approx 10-12kw or so.

What is your fuel source?
The fuel source will be propane. We've currently got two 500 gallon tanks on the property. One for the house, and the other one is strictly for the garage/workshop. A friend told me that I may want to consider upgrading to a 1,000 gallon tank, because he said that the generators are pretty thirsty. So, that will be a consideration as well.

#7 ·
Try a search for Generac (not in title) and by you Just Jeff. There are two there that show up. Maybe those are what you were looking for.

Reactions: Just Jeff
#9 ·
We installed a whole home generator in late 2017. Investigated Generac, Briggs, Kohler, and one other brand I am forgetting off the top of my head. We ended up with Generac. Briggs was exiting the market or changing stuff at the time so that cancelled them out. The other brand was 15% more than any of the others. Kohler and Generac were within $300 on price - Generac was available and Kohler was a 3 month wait. Generac it was….

Key points I learned: 1) These are home standby generators not your Caterpillar or Cummins powered emergency generators for commercial buildings. Don’t expect the moon on a budget. 2) Brand has little to do with horror stories. Every jilted customer will come out of the wood work too tell you how bad a brand is. I figured they all had their quirks, Generac sells more than any other brand so the sad song choir is larger. 3) No brand appears to have anything close to customer service. Chief complaint I saw and heard in my research was no customer service from any brand. BUT ours has been installed for 5 years and I haven’t needed to call customer service so I can neither confirm or deny that part. 4) Choose your location carefully considering snow, maintenance needs, and install expense. 5) Once installed it not likely you will loose power!

As for our Generac, we have a 20kw unit that has a dedicated 500 gallon LP tank. That gives us at least 5 days of full load power plus a reserve. Generac transfer switch hooked up to the shop and house. We’ve lost power twice for extended periods of time (July 2020 and May 2022) and have no complaints about the generator itself. About my only complaint with the Generac is the housing, it sucks, it never goes back together correctly, the lid and insulation split in the wind we have here. Other than that it’s done the job.

#11 ·
We installed a Generac 16KW whole house unit about 6 years ago after a two day power outage. The local dealer was/is fantastic. Install was very professional, better than others of a different brand locally. Not sure in your area but I dealer has a lot to do with satisfaction. Installation will be key. Little things about what kind of base will they be supplying and how it is placed may indicate dealer professionalism. Take a trip in the neighborhood and see how level some of the units are after a few years.

I have had no issues with the unit. I do routine maintenance (oil/filters) myself. Last fall I had the dealer come to replace the battery, perform valve lash and check for any other issues. He did install some upgraded software at that time (no charge).

I believe the 16KW unit is no longer sold and the current equivalent is 18KW. My understanding our unit has a Briggs Vanguard as the basis for power and runs on natural gas. My needs are basically the same as yours. A couple of weeks ago we had a 12 hour outage with the air conditioner running and all worked well.

Good luck.

#12 · (Edited)
I just had a natural gas 20KW Kohler installed this past February after waiting 9 months for it to come in. My dealer/installer handled both Generac and Kohler and he recommended Kohler so that is what I chose. I decided on the whole house and 20KW because it was only little money more than a smaller 12-15kw. Also, had my 1961 service upgraded from 100A to 200A at the same time. We live in an area where our sump pumps get a work out during the thunderstorm season and it has always been a challenge to keep them running during severe storms. It has always been worrisome to leave home (vacations) during this time...not anymore. The generator operation is easily monitored via Kohler's mobile app. Power has went out twice since February, once for 2-3 hours due to a storm and another when a squirrel committed suicide at the transformer. It is really nice not having to sit in the dark trying to decide if you should pull out the portable generator and run extension cords throughout the house.

#33 ·
I just had a natural gas 20KW Kohler installed this past February after waiting 9 months for it to come in. My dealer/installer handled both Generac and Kohler and he recommended Kohler so that is what I chose. I decided on the whole house and 20KW because it was only little money more than a smaller 12-15kw. Also, had my !961 service upgraded from 100A to 200A at the same time. We live in an area where our sump pumps get a work out during the thunderstorm season and it has always been a challenge to keep them running during severe storms. It has always been worrisome to leave home (vacations) during this time...not anymore. The generator operation is easily monitored via Kohler's mobile app. Power has went out twice since February, once for 2-3 hours due to a storm and another when a squirrel committed suicide at the transformer. It is really nice not having to sit in the dark trying to decide if you should pull out the portable generator and run extension cords throughout the house.
Same requirements as Whitey019. Sump pump, water well/pump, swimming pool pump, functioning furnace in 6 month winter season prevents frozen/burst pipes, freezer, laundry functioning eliminates need to find a laundromat that has power for extended power outages. We've had 17KW Generac for past 8 yrs; dealer selection is very impt. We have an excellent Generac dealer. Natural gas is our primary fuel. Other than having emergency heat available in winter, other main advantage of the generator is maintaining our well to provide water, bathroom, and our sump pump to keep functioning preventing basement flooding during storms that may cause prolonged power interuption that have occurred from severe summer storms, as well as winter blizzards.

#57 ·
I've used both but I ended up with Kohler. Seemed to be built a touch tougher. Generators should run at about 60 percent load. Any less and it's a waste. I don't know your load but your dealer can help you figure it out. We have a resort in Canada with a huge lodge, 7 cabins and a boat house with electric minnow tank. 4 freezers. 4 refrigerators an we run the whole thing on 25 kvw at about 45 percent.
Don't Overbuy for warm and fuzzy. I weld with 220 in Canada also and power tools.

#15 ·
In a past life I sold Generac and Briggs standbys, the Generac Guardian was the big seller because it was cheaper but generally required more frequent service. A 12kw and matching transfer switch is all you need if you have 100A service in the house, go bigger if you plan to add a/c, heat pumps etc later. IMHO the most important thing is to consider is a knowledgeable and supportive dealer. He may or may not handle the installation, we didn't but had qualified electricians and gasfitters available that understood our needs. Forget the mass retailer or buying online, that is just asking for trouble.
My last gig before retirement was on the sales and tech desk for the Canadian Briggs distributor. I took a lot of the standby calls from supposedly trained technicians, I finally let calls go from one who asked the same questions on every job he got!

#16 ·
Thank you @RoyM, I appreciate your input! I wasn't sure if most of us (?) are more familiar with Generac more so than Kohler or other brands due more dollars being thrown at marketing, or if there was a legitimate reason why it seems like they sell a lot more generators than their competitors.

#19 ·
Generack decided to cheapen up there lawn mower engines and put a lawn mower dealer out of business . It will be hard for me to forgive them for that . The one I have seems like a good one but after that they would blow and create a mess for the business to replace .

#20 ·
@Bebop would you expound on that please? I didn't even know Generac produced lawnmower engines. Who do they make them for, and under what brand name? Also, how did they "put a lawnmower dealer out of business"? It seems like if this were a common thing, I (we?) would be aware of it already? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just either misunderstanding your comments or confused.

#23 ·
My 2012 Dixie chopper with a 27Hp Generack runs really strong , my neighbor was a Dixie chopper dealer . He had a bad run of Generack engines . After talking to another dealer he told me that Generack had some good engines in the beginning but let there quality slip . It was a word of mouth exchange between a chopper dealer and me and now its got me jaded . I know all brands can have a bad run its just that a engine maker should take in consideration there reputation . Mine is a Industrial and has oil coolers and runs wide open during use and has been a outstanding engine . But if I ever see my old neighbor who was a dealer I will get the full scoop .

#24 ·
This one is mine and it has been a good engine . It is a Industrial and runs full throttle when in use . After talking to a different chopper dealer he told me that Generack cheapen there engines and had a bad run . My one buddy went out of business im sure there could have been other reasons . But I know that others had told me he had a lot of trouble with Generack . I think they got out of the lawn mower engine business .
Book Font Art Publication Paper

#27 ·
Well there you go. You learn something everyday. Well actually, I learn seven or eight things everyday, because I'm not the brightest bulb in the world LOL! I never knew Generac made engines for Dixie Chopper.

#36 ·
The figures came off the circuit breakers in my electrical panel.

I understand that people can run their clothes dryer on low heat. Or that they can just use one burner on their stove. Or just use one appliance at a time. That's how folks get by with a smaller generator. Cal

Reactions: JD1982
#29 ·
As a former Generac installer/tech, I have a few thoughts. I would consider Generac to be at the bottom of the list for quality(with the caveat I have never touched a Briggs). I've installed and repaired quite a few of the units. The few Kohler units I worked on impressed me, and the few WinCo units impressed me even more, in comparison to the Generac units I was familiar with. Now, I haven't been in that business for about 3 years, so things
may have changed a bit.
As far as sizing, consult your installer and they should be able to get that right for you.

#31 ·
As a former Generac installer/tech, I have a few thoughts. I would consider Generac to be at the bottom of the list for quality(with the caveat I have never touched a Briggs). I've installed and repaired quite a few of the units. The few Kohler units I worked on impressed me, and the few WinCo units impressed me even more, in comparison to the Generac units I was familiar with. Now, I haven't been in that business for about 3 years, so things
may have changed a bit.
As far as sizing, consult your installer and they should be able to get that right for you.
I'm curious now. Would you care to elaborate? What impressed you with the Kohlers and WinCo's more than the Generacs specifically? And since you've only been "out of the loop" for 3 years, I would consider your information to be relatively up to date.

#30 ·
I put in a 14 KW unit in for a customer, but they had natural gas for furnace, hot water and cook stove.
They also had two AC/furnace systems, one in house for her, one in garage for him.
They have had no trouble from it at all, full house automatic transfer switch, the only way they know the power was out is all the digital clocks flashing.

The only Kohler I was ever around was just a small thing, had a 350 Chevy engine running it, so not really a good comparison. 48 KW if I remember right.

I am kinda shopping for one myself, it will be a Generac.

#32 ·
I forgot a detail or two.
If you have vinyl siding the minimum clearance to the house is not enough.
I was by a house that had vinyl siding and after an extended outage during a hot spell, the siding was all sagging behind the generator.
Not sure of the brand name, my brother in law has one for his poultry houses, it has a 300 six cylinder Ford engine in it, probably 85 or 100 KW.

#38 · (Edited)
Yeah, I hear you - - no worries. In an urban environment we get all that various noise you describe, but from about three or four dozen properties that either directly border ours or are so close they may as well.

Leaf blowers are by far the worst nuisance noise we have to deal with on a daily basis, almost year round. The generator test runs are probably the second or third worst offenders. We have had tremendous infill re-development, and every builder now includes a builder-grade whole-house generator with the new house. “Builder-grade” is not top of the line stuff and I doubt they study the db ratings when choosing. Pretty sure it is just the low-cost option.

So there are loads of them in the neighborhood. One neighbor’s is as far away as the builder could possibly get it from the house, which puts it about 15 feet from our bedroom windows and 20 feet from our front porch. It’s a real treat to listen to.

Happy Father’s Day! I think I’ll go fire up the Yanmar diesel and do some tractoring! If you ask my neighbors, I’m probably the second biggest noise offender! 😂

#39 ·
Yeah, I hear you - - no worries. In an urban environment we get all that various noise you describe, but from about three or four dozen properties that either directly border ours or are so close they may as well.

Leaf blowers are by far the worst nuisance noise we have to deal with on a daily basis, almost year round. The generator test runs are probably the second or third worst offenders. We have had tremendous infill re-development, and every builder now includes a builder-grade whole-house generator with the new house. “Builder-grade” is not top of the line stuff and I doubt they study the db ratings when choosing. Pretty sure it is just the low-cost option.

So there are loads of them in the neighborhood. One neighbor’s is as far away as the builder could possibly get it from the house, which puts it about 15 feet from our bedroom windows and 20 feet from our front porch. It’s a real treat to listen to.

Happy Father’s Day! I think I’ll go fire up the Yanmar diesel and do some tractoring! If you ask my neighbors, I’m probably the second biggest noise offender! 😂
Generators with new homes is a nice feature, but all of them in "Surround Sound" in high density neighbourhood, I must admit, is a problem I hadn't considered. Yikes!. I had forgotten to mention that I was sold the optional insulation pkg with the generac; I'm unsure it has much (maybe some) effect on noise abatement;- I thought it was extra protection for the battery for powering up the unit in cold winter starts. My trimming small lawn mower, weed trimmer, leaf blower etc are Stihl residential battery units-fairly quiet. But my Cyclone Rake (with its own Itek 6.5 HP motor impeller), plus the 1025R is not a quiet combo without a doubt

#43 ·
Although I have no idea of the make of the unit, The last Generac i installed has a neighbor diagonally across a 4 way intersection. What ever his generator is, you can hear it in the house that has the Generac over top of the Generac unit.
I know the guy that has it, I just never walked over to see what it was. Very loud from several hundred feet away is all I can say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.