My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The manual for my Frontier rear PTO snowblower recommends "AGMA 5EP extreme Pressure oil, SAE 80W90 gear oil or equivalent."

I have 85W-140 gear oil around for other implement gear boxes, and I'm wondering if that's okay for the snowblower. Since I only use that blower in under 40*F weather, I assume it will do just fine. What do you all think?

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
... Since I only use that blower in under 40*F weather, I assume it will do just fine. What do you all think?
I would think the fact you only use it in <40F temps, would argue against the thicker oil. 140W oil will be a lot thicker viscosity than 90W.

I would try to get something much closer to the recommended weight.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just came across some spec sheets for gear boxes, and they confirm what you wrote. The 85W-140 is only good for down to ~20*F, but the 80W-90 is good for much much lower temperatures, which is what I get into sometimes.

Thanks, UrbanTractor! :trink39:

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 85-140 should be fine. It should be a synthetic lube, and will not have the consistency of a 140. It has been used in almost all for light duty trucks since about the 2000 model year. And they don't get parked just because it's -20 degrees.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts