My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MF GC2610
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well all of course it happens at the worst time! 12" of wet heavy snow. Hit the key let the golw's heat up and it engaged the starter turning the engine over, didn't start (typical first try). turned the key off waited a min. and tried again, this time the starter motor just spins at high speed. Put a jumper pack on it and no change.
Any ideas??? Tractor only has 118 hr on it.

·
22,335 Posts
Starter bendix is stuck? How many times did you try turning it over?

You probably have to pull the starter and do a clean and lube, or more likely a replacement with so few hours on it. Take a look at the ring gear while you have the starter out. A slim possibility is broken teeth on the gear or the gear has broken loose from the flywheel.

None of this should be an issue at 118 hours, but sh*t happens.

·
MF GC2610
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob, I did this at least half a dozen time. Pain in the A**, I had to go old school and use an idoit stick....back still feeling it! Lube suggestion? Silicone high temp like used on brake slide pins??

·
22,335 Posts
I'd go lithium. Water is more likely than heat.

·
MF GC2610
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's not the battery, not solenoid, not the ground strap...now for the bad news...the internal gear (made of nylon) that the planet gears engage from the starter motor. Not a great design as far as I'm concerened as it is the weak link and where all the torque is developed to engage the ring gear.

·
MF GC2610
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It ended up being the planetary tracking gear. It is made of nylon:banghead3
Replaced it and lubed it with white lithuim. It fired right up on Sunday at 60 deges out, now I just pray it does as well when it gets cold:praying:

·
22,335 Posts
It ended up being the planetary tracking gear. It is made of nylon:banghead3
Replaced it and lubed it with white lithuim. It fired right up on Sunday at 60 deges out, now I just pray it does as well when it gets cold:praying:
Get a block heater for it. An hour or 2 with the heater helps in the cold. Of the 500 hours on my 2310, over 300 are at temperatures from freezing down to -30* F. I use a heat gun to help out at the really low temps.

·
MF GC2610
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tudor,
Did youy get the Massey/Iseki in the block heater or a Watts unit? Or heater hose style? I have a magnetic one that I used on an old pick-up that I was thinking was worth a try as well, just haven determined the best place to attach it, ideas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts