My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I haven't been on the massey forum in awhile!! but the weather is getting bad, which allows me to have some more time for mtf. Well the new gc2600 is awesome!!! Can't believe how well it performs, and how well it mows! Only thing is I checked the oil last night. The tractor has 26hrs on it and the oil level is half way between full and empty. Is this normal? Should I be worried?? Im not sure if running it to the scheduled 50hr oil change would be a good idea. Any one with input please feel free to post it up! Thanks everyone!!

·
22,354 Posts
Some oil use is to be expected with any newly machined parts. How much depends on the amount of surface imperfection from the machining process. As the parts hone themselves into closer tolerance, oil consumption will decrease. This process is ongoing and consumption should fall off by the first oil change.

Keep an eye on it and replenish as needed. I wouldn't sweat a half quart in the first 26 hours, but I would question the dealer over a full quart in the first 50 hours. The oil use during the next oil change interval is the one that sets the benchmark for oil consumption.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Oil consumption is not unexpected in the first 50-100 hours while everything is breaking in. Some will use some oil and others won't. Just keep an eye on it and if it continues call your dealer. slkpk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Fonz,

I have a GC2400 and had the same oil consumption concerns you do. At 35 hrs. because winter was coming on and not knowing what oil was factory fill, I changed my oil to rotella t6 5w-40 and ran it all winter plowing snow. At approx 75 hrs the oil consumption stopped. I still run t6 rotella all year round and work the heck out of the tractor.

So just give your tractor a little break in time and all is well.

I believe the dip stick reads full to add in 1/2 quart incriments so you aren't using as much oil as you think.

enjoy your new tractor,
Dave:trink39:

·
Registered
264 Posts
that mark is where mine stays...when I got it that is where it was, every oil change that is where it goes back to. I wouldn't worry about it

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I made the mistake of not checking the oil level when I 1st took delivery of the machine. But with winter coming I was thinking of changing to a different grade for the winter temps. So I checked it and thats when I noticed it was down. I'll keep my eye on it for now. What grade oil does everyone recommend I use? I have connections with amsoil, so im thinking of running that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use regular ol Rotella 15/40 in mine, of course our winters down here aren't near like they are up there....shorts mostly year round down here

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
....The tractor has 26hrs on it and the oil level is half way between full and empty....
Just to clarify, did you mean to say that the oil level showed half way between the hi and low marks on the dipstick? Half way between those two marks is definitely not "half way between full and empty" as far as the crankcase oil reserve goes. The "low" mark on the dipstick would probably indicate about 75-80% of oil capacity.

As someone else mentioned, you are probably only low by 1/4 of a quart or so. Nothing to worry about, especially since you don't know whether it was at the hi mark when you took delivery. I would just top it off and change per the schedule.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, it is halfway between the low and full. I guess im used to cars, when a cars down this low it has consumed a quart of oil. Im glad its nothing to worry about. I love the tractor and dont want it to turn into my cub cadet gt that was always at the dealer with issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts