My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
tomboy
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am in the process of trying out a GC2400 with a fel, 60" deck> Really like the way that everything works but kind of leary on the way that it starts and it isn't all that cold here now. Is it common for this engine to crank over 3-4 times before it catches even if you have the rpm set to about 1500 rpm when you last shut it off. Thanks for any input you have, this is the only thing that i dislike about the unit.

·
NewTractor,new Yard Holes
25 Posts
yeh, I am in Nova Scotia @ 15C temp, and i have to turn the key twice, when cold. It turns over about 3 or 4 times , and then about twice the second time and then it fires up. I shut down @ about 1500 RPM, on a GC2600

·
New GC2400 Owner
22 Posts
I always use the glow plugs, maybe 3 seconds for when its in the garage during the spring/fall......it starts up in one good whirl. Winter I've been told to expect a good 5 to 8 seconds of glow for a cold start, if wicked cold, ten seconds, a quick turn over and then another burst of glow.

I do use the glows pretty regular....I bump the throttle, glow it and it starts right up.

·
tomboy
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know being born and raised on a farm 1 would think that instead of thinking that you know everything you should read the owners manual. The dealer showed me how to start the unit but never told me anything about the glow plugs. Know that i realy know what I am doing it starts up alot better. Owners manuals you got to love them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The engine has indirect injection and glow plugs. I learned on a 86 Chev diesel van that the first injection of diesel fuel in the chamber does not ignite because of low compression. The first injection coats the rings/bore such that the second compression stroke has adequate compression. The problem is that the glow plug and precombustion chamber is cooled off from the first injection of fuel.

The better way to start an indirect injection is on the first glow plug heating cycle to crank the engine two-three revs to get an oil injection in each chamber to seal the rings. Start the glow plug heating cycle again and the engine will then start readily (instead of cranking and cranking because the continued injection of diesel is keeping the glow plugs from glowing.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts