My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Handyman
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea! I got some time with the backhoe and loader this past weekend working on expanding some flower beds. Kinda overkill to use a backhoe but it sure did save time and effort and gave me a reason to be out there. What previously took hours with a shovel and a wheelbarrow was handled easily by the loader and backhoe. This was the first time I have really put both to use since purchasing.

Hooking them up was straight forward and will be much faster in the future. The issues I encountered: The hoses on the backhoe were not labeled. The hoses from the tractor had colored zip ties but the hoses on the backhoe did not and I had to guess which went with which hoping I did not screw anything up. I wish I had noticed that when unhooking everything the previous winter. The loader was more challenging. It was sitting on a slightly un-level surface so getting everything aligned took a little extra fanageling. Then, once aligned I could not get the hoses to attach. I finally realized that there was simply too much pressure in the loader hoses to allow the little detent ball in the hose coupler to depress and allow the hose to slide in and attach. So I had to hold the hose tightly and press the end down firmly until it “popped” and gave me a squirt of fluid. Mmmmm, lovely smell. Once that happened the two hoses in that circuit connected beautifully. The other had the same problem but no matter how hard I tried to press down on that fitting I could not get it to release. I eventually got a couple of wrenches and slowly undid a connection on one of the hardlines on the loader arm until I got that too squirt at me. Once that was done and re-tightened the other hoses went together just fine too. I am glad I realized it was just a matter of it being over pressurized and it was something I could fix without getting too worked up over it. Always something isn’t it?

I used the backhoe to expand the mulch beds around several trees. The trees have grown and it was becoming hard to mow up to the edge of the mulch without having the ROPS ripping branches off the tree. I scrapped about 2 feet from around the edge of the whole bed. Pulled up about 3-4 inches of sod & dirt. Then edged quickly with a shovel to get a nice edge, raked smooth and backfilled with mulch.

The Primary reason for this posting was to alert other GC TLB owners that there could be some issues with their backhoes they might want to check out. Upon re-attaching my backhoe I noticed that when the outriggers were placed in the full upright position the hose to the cylinder would be pulled over into about a 90 degree angle. Not a good situation at all. The tension on the hose and fitting in this situation was very high. The hose did not want to budge if pushed on. Hoses should not be under this kind of tension. Either the hose will wear prematurely or the fitting is going to give and that will really be a mess.

The problem is the zip ties installed on the hydraulic lines at the factory. They are positioned in such a location that they do not allow the free movement of the hoses when the outriggers are retracted into the upright position.

There are two zip ties for each side that need to be clipped. One is visible right above the outrigger cylinder. The other is located under the control panel where the hoses go up to the levers. Both are easily accessible without disassembling anything.

I did not attach any new zip ties yet. I want to see how the hoses hang now that they are free to do so. It does not appear that any are in danger of being pinched but I will be watching closely and will fasten them differently if that becomes necessary.

Just wanted you all to know and to take a look the next time you have your machine out if you have not already done so.

It ran like a charm otherwise and I look forward to digging more holes in the future. Not to mention the multi-ton pile of stone boulders I recently had delivered that will need to be arranged into a retaining wall. I’ll be putting on a Thumb for that work.

In the first picture below you can see the original zip tie in position. The second photo shows the zip tie after it was cut. Notice that this did not relieve any of the tension on the hose and fitting. It is still under quite a bit of stress. It is only when both were cut that the hose was able to hang freely. The final picture shows where the other ties are located amongst the hoses under the control panel. Look closely and you will see it hiding in there.

It was fun putting the machine to work.

Attachments

·
22,175 Posts
On my 2310 there are only 2 hoses to hook up and the coupler halves are reversed on one so they can be hooked together when the hoe is dismounted to keep dirt out of the couplers on the hoe and allow the hydraulic system on the tractor to have a complete circuit. No need to colour code the hoses on the hoe, they can only go together one way.

For all the female coupler halves, I keep a 1/2" bolt snd a rag handy to 'pop' the checks. Insert the bolt, wrap the rag around the coupler and push the bolt head against something solid. Works every time.

Another issue that doesn't show up for a while is that the hoses are rated for 2500 psi and will weep on that 2100 psi system. As my hoses start to weep, I'm changing them out for 5800 psi rated hoses. I've replaced 3 so far in 440 hours, and I think another is going now, after finding a small stain on the back sidewalk.

Good spotting on that outrigger hose. I noticed that hose is snug on mine, but not extreme, so I left well enough alone, but I'm going to recheck anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

I had an issue with the bolts holding the loader posts to the frame loosening off after the second winter. One of them is a real bear to replace, if you let them go too long. I had thought it was only the 2 bolts at the bottom of the post at first, turned out to be all of them.

As you have found, these critters are fun to use in spite of these minor problems. Did you get a spare screwball?

Bob :rauch10:

·
Handyman
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob,
There are three hoses to hook up the backhoe on the 2410. One is obvious as the fittings make it obvious, the other two can go either way. I hooked them up and they worked so I assume I got it right. Would the hydraulics work in reverse if I had hooked them up the other way I wonder??? That is what I was guessing would have happened.

Anybody with a 2410 or 2610 that can confirm for me which the hoses is supposed to hook up to where for me?

When you say the hoses "weep" what exactly do you mean? How does changing out the hoses correct this? I think one of the fittings on mine is leaking, might this be the problem??

I'll be sure to keep an eye on the loader attachment posts. Another worry for me is the 3pt hitch lift arms damaging something if I raise and lower the mower deck while the backhoe is attached.

No, I do not have a spare screwball. From what I have read that is something inside the loader control that can go bad causing the loader not to operate, correct? What is the cost on those and how hard to replace?

The outrigger arm is fine with the zip tie if you do not raise it to a complete stop at the top. If you are folding your ROPS you will find that the ROPS will hit the outriggers if they are fully raised (on a 2410 at least). Lowering the outriggers slightly allows the ROPS to fit in between and also relieves the stress on the hose held by the zip tie. This is faulty design in my mind. Outriggers when fully raised should have a stop on them that prevents interference with folding of the ROPS. They should not also be tied in such a way that stresses the hoses like this.

·
22,175 Posts
I guess they changed the hydraulic circuitry a little on the 2410. I only have the 2 hoses. I suspect that it doesn't matter which of those hoses goes together or they would have marked them. Check in the book or with the dealer, I guess.

Hoses are said to be 'weeping' when the oil oozes out through the covering and no visible damage is present (cuts, scrapes or other physical marks). Mostly not near a fitting, but if it is, the fitting will get blamed whether it is or not. Think of the hose carcass as being a super fine filter element. Very annoying and it gets worse in a relatively short time, like a few hours of use. Since this means the hose can not deal with the pressure, change it out. The hoses for the FEL cylinders cost me $17 each, and for the FEL valve $21. I've replaced one of each and bought a spare for each at the same time since it is now a known problem which will occur again. The third hose was on the hoe and I'll replace those as they fail. They're all different lengths.

For the 3PH, there should be a lockout valve under the front edge of the seat that you close when installing the hoe. This valve prevents the 3PH from moving and you can use the mid lift with no repercussions. There's another lockout for the mid lift if you're using the 3PH.

I think we discussed 'screwballs' before you got your tractor. They're about $20 and take about 15 minutes to change. If you break one, you can't use one spool at all, and the other is a real chore to use. They're not hard to replace, just a matter of trips back and forth to the shop for the tools.

I checked my outrigger hoses. They aren't zip tied and have enough slack. No issues with interference.

·
Handyman
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be on the look out for weeping on the hoses, thanks for the info.

The manual is un-helpful in regards to the hose hook up for the backhoe. The procedure is outlined but neither the text or the pictures allows you to figure out and identify which hose is which. The picture just shows 3 hoses coming out from under the control panel. I'll put up some more pictures when I get a chance.

There is a rate of drop control under the seat for the 3pt. I'll need to take a closer look at it to see if it has a lock position for the 3pt on it. It must based on what you are saying.

·
22,175 Posts
Screw it all the way in. That closes the valve so it can't fall.

Another item that has caught several of us is, the position of the hitch lift lever MUST be in neutral for the back hoe to work. If it is accidently moved to the up position and stays there, about the only thing that works on the hoe is gravity and swing left. Among my first posts on the forum is this thread and the several nights of head scratching that went with it.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=87088

·
Handyman
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That 3pt hitch lift lever disabling the backhoe would drive anyone nuts and I am so glad it did not happen to me. Just another bit of information to file away for future reference.

I'll give it a try the next time I have it out. Friday maybe? I'll let you know if it works the same for me on the 2410.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts