My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy one of these sub -compact tractors, used. I have about 50 acs to take care of , 2/3 wooded but there are ATV trails I need to keep open - Which tractor has the best hydraulics and trans and 4 wheel drive systems? A local Massey Ferguson dealer I have worked with over the past 15 years has been good. Thank-you

·
Professional Homeowner
7,200 Posts
Both are actually good machines. Which one fits you best? I've used both a Kubota BX and Massey GC, and don't really prefer one over the other. Maybe I'm just not that picky.

For the record, though, with 50 acres I'd step up to a larger machine. Larger tires, 3 range (or gear) transmission, and more capable loader. It'll still most likely fit down tight ATV trails, but measure to be sure. I went with a 46 Horse machine for our property (stepped up from the GC 2300), and there are a couple places it simply will not go unless I take down a few trees to make it fit. I took a look at the Massey 1700 series (if I recall correctly) and the B series Kubotas, but found what I thought was a good deal on my L4610. I overpaid a bit, but have not been sorry I went with the larger and more capable machine. A smaller L series Kubota or 1700 series Massey probably would have been plenty for my needs, but the GC or BX just wasn't going to cut the mustard.

I brush hog about 5 acres, remove snow, clean up fallen trees, planned on firewood duty, and everything else one might do with a tractor at least to some extent. I needed to haul a stupid amount of fill sand and dig many stumps to build a house. I could easily step down to a smaller machine at this point, which I may do some day, and get a cab model. Problem is I'm spoiled with the power and capability this larger machine has.

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
I could easily step down to a smaller machine at this point, which I may do some day, and get a cab model. Problem is I'm spoiled with the power and capability this larger machine has.
Yes, you could Ted, but you know you won't. As Lord Acton, the 19th-century British historian said “Power tends to corrupt.” And what was it that Tim the Tool Man Taylor use to say on that TV show? Something like
"more power, more power!" So downsizing, no way. But adding a smaller sidekick... yeah!!!
MikeC

·
Professional Homeowner
7,200 Posts
So downsizing, no way. But adding a smaller sidekick... yeah!!!
MikeC
Funny you should mention that. I'm shopping again. I'd actually kind of like to have my little Massey back. Tried to deal on a B1700 I think it was that needed some internal hydraulic/transmission work. Seller wasn't motivated enough for my liking.

But back to the OP's question - the BX and GC series are both seriously great machines, built basically equal when it comes down to the nuts and bolts. Get price quotes on comparably equipped machines, get some seat time on both, see which one you like operating more. Don't get too hung up on specs like lifting capacity if they're only 25-30 lbs apart... You won't notice that when working the machine if properly equipped, and either machine can be carefully modified to lift more. Do some research on tire type - turf vs HDAP vs R4 to see which one will fit your needs best. In my massey's case it was turf or HDAP because it's primary function was mowing and snow removal. My L4610 has R4 because most of what I do with it requires a tougher tire (tree work, heavy loader work, etc). It slides sideways in the snow where my Massey would have held firm. R4 tires SUCK in snow, especially when they get a bit worn out.

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Good luck on the hunt. The good thing about it is that there isn't any rush. (that we know of) You can take your time and find a deal that's right for you... and of course the CFO!
MikeC

·
10,401 Posts
Having a good dealer is important. Get some seat time on both and see what layout you like better.
You don’t mention winter conditions. Is this something that will be used for snow duty also, if you’re in an area that gets it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts