My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After cleaning the carb, and running a tank of gas, with Mystery Oil, the engine would still loose about 50% power at times. When I backed off the throttle, for a second or two, it would clear up, and run fine, for, maybe for 5 minutes, sometimes 15 minutes.

The muffler had something inside that would rattle, if I banged my mand on the muffler.

So, I cut her apart today, and found the bottom half of the inlet tube, which is capped off, on the end, and has a ring of holes around it, to allow exh. gas in, was busted off. Looking in the incision, I could see the outlet tube, which, I think would be blocked by the broken tube, when the tube bounced the right way.

I closed her up, with the wire welder. (see Dear, I did need to buy the welder) No picture of the welding!

So far with a 10 minute test, all is fine. Fingers crossed

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed the carb, and the bowl was clean. I removed the jets and sprayed with choke cleaner, and blew it out, and replaced the needle and seat.

I thought it might be exh. restriction, and there's not many other parts to cause it.

Back in the 70's, in another life, I fixed a few Chevy's that had the front, inner, exh pipe, colapse, and choke the engine. It was a double wall exh. pipe for noise reduction, and sometimes, when the pipes are hot, and the car goes thru a big puddle, the inside pipe would colapse on itself, and restrict the exh. about 95%

More hours on the motor will tell. I really think that was the cause.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It didn't stop with chevys or the 70's either.....hehe

My new 96 1 ton ford with a 460 was recalled for the exact same thing. Inner pipe collapse an loss of power.
Where I bought it in our little 1 horse town dealer, I decided to change it myself since the part was free if I returned the old one.
The dlr only had 1 mechanic an he could not hardly read, an his toolchest was 2 square washtubs mounted to an old kitchen table with the legs sawed off about 1/2 way up an rollers welded on'em.
Now, would you want this guy working on YOUR new 1 month old $25,000 truck?......

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
It didn't stop with chevys or the 70's either.....hehe

My new 96 1 ton ford with a 460 was recalled for the exact same thing. Inner pipe collapse an loss of power.
Where I bought it in our little 1 horse town dealer, I decided to change it myself since the part was free if I returned the old one.
The dlr only had 1 mechanic an he could not hardly read, an his toolchest was 2 square washtubs mounted to an old kitchen table with the legs sawed off about 1/2 way up an rollers welded on'em.
Now, would you want this guy working on YOUR new 1 month old $25,000 truck?......
You gotta get a picture of that tool chest. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thats been 14 years ago, that guy is long gone now. They expanded an have 3 or 4 mech's now. At the time though, it was the only guy in town available to them that knew at least a little bit about cars.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That guy was probably a better mechanic and worked faster at trouble shooting than the four new guys put together. Instead of spending 50 grand for beautiful Snap-On tools, which I have a ton of by the way, He used the same tools his father had when he taught him how to fix cars as a kid. I bet he could listen to an engine run and diagnose a problem faster than these other guys using the latest and most sophisticated tools on the market.

·
Registered
962 Posts
He actually had worked at the local auto parts store for about 10 years. Since he didn't read worth a hoot he had to remember a lot of car parts without the #'s.

He really was pretty smart on older stuff, but not on the newer Greenied up K-rap

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Shame, many great backyard mechanics have been passed by by all the computers and such in today's autos. I started out working on my first car, a 1936 Ford convertible with a rumble seat and a Flathead engine. I knew every nut and bole in that car. Bought on Ford after another and could tune one so good, you could put a glass of water on the air cleaner and not see a ripple. Last car I had that I could comfortably work on is my 1989 Ford F150. Guess that is why I keep all these tractors around. At least I can still do a reasonable job on them. I really do like working on engines. I have been tinkering with the idea of getting a Shelby Cobra kit car and building it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts