My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you frequent the other brand forums, mainly the cub cadet one, then you know I am a mechanic for a local Cub Cadet/Hustler dealer. A few months ago we had a guy bring in a wreck of a 4212h lawn tractor. Nice tractor other than a bunch of cuts with a knife in the plastic dash console trying to find a wiring problem that didnt exhist. Engine was locked up, key switch was melted down. He ended up buying a new lt1042 Cub Cadet and left the old Simplicity with us, boss gave him nothing for it. It has sat at the back of the lot in the dead line till this last week. I brought it in with the fork lift and took the engine off the frame. When I took a pipe wrench to the crank pulleys, I was able to turn the engine over, but with a stiff spot at TDC. I pulled the head and it had a thick layer of carbon at the bottom of the bore that was squished by the piston against the head. It also had a crank case full of gas. Got over 3 quarts of oil/gas out of the crank, and I decarboned the head and piston/valves. New oil, new head gastet and a full carb rebuild and she runs like a champ. Had the boss's son weld a new end cap on the muffler and mend a broken deck hanger. We still havent come to a price for the tractor, but its here at my house and I cut the yard with it tonight. I did add a new deck belt and have 4 new deck rollers on order. So, investment wise, he only has my time, a belt, headgasget and deck rollers. Most of the time spent was my lunch hours and down time when nothing else was there to work on, but I still had to be there. I am on the hunt for a snowblower and a better console top and bottom, the rest of the tractor is really clean, deck looks hardly used. Lights work but run directly off the stator output instead of the battery, so I need to fix that and get them up to full brightness. I think with a custom sleeve hitch, she would handle my small 6" moldboard plow, that rear end and hydro pump is more robust looking than the newest bottom end cub GT that is rated to do all that. I think I can adapt the manual lift ones for MTD tractors, it has its own lift lever since this model doesnt have a dedicated lift lever for stuff like that. If it does 2-3 passes without getting real hot, it will work for me. I dont normaly make more that that before I go back to chatting with others and helping fix other tractors. I will get some pics of her soon. Mike

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, here are some pics of my little 4212 hydro. You can see in the second pic the damage done by the previous owner to the plastic console, there is also a triangular cut just under the steering wheel that doesnt show in the pics. Mike

·
Registered
773 Posts
Other than the dash, that is a pretty good looking tractor to be left for dead. Congrats of saving it. Usually the top corner of the grill is broken on most of these due to running into low branches or cutting too close to the trees.

Keep us posted on your new tractor!

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunatly I dont have any pics of how it was left at the shop, green mold everywhere, hood and fenders were more green than off white and orange. Engine was totaly siezed up, couldnt move it with my hands on the flywheel screen and the key switch was melted down. Looks like it sat for a long time, the carbon probably used to be all over inside the head and on top of the piston, but from sitting it all collapsed to a pile at the bottom of the piston bore and when he tried to fire the engine up, it came up to TDC and locked up. The grill only has one small crack down at the bottom where it snags the front bumper that is slightly bent and I cant seem to get it straight enough to stop it from snagging on it. Both lights are perfect, tires are excellent. Gonna try waxing and buffing the paint to see if I can get some more of the color and shine back, the fenders are a bit faded. The clips that held the fenders down on the frame are broken, so you have to be carefull when you sit down as it will try to flip backwards on ya. I may have a line on a good used dash console. We used to rent a summer cabin on lake James up near you Mike. Spent many summers up there as a kid. Cheers Mike and Michele T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts