1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John Deere 2002 Diesel Gator 6x4 18 HPO Yanmar
Have Gator Service manual; not very helpful on this topic
Problem
Changed fuel filter, ran good for 5 minutes then died.
Getting gravity flow of fuel thru filter at pump, manual pump handle or cranking will not flow fuel on outlet side. Manual handle has dead feeling, not pumping anything
ODD?
Two questions.
1. Is this fuel lift pump a gear driven or diaphram type?
General appearance suggest cam driven diaphram type.

2. Is there a secret to bleeding a diesel gator, for example, remove vent line at tank and pressurize, remove return line at tank and vacuum, etc?
:banghead3
Thanks ahead.

Wayne

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Determined that I need a new lift pump. Pick up today.
I removed the inlet hose (at pump) and inserted my own hose into fuel. The pump will neither hand pump or crank pump. The manual indicates it only pumps 4.3PSI and not a lot of volume; hince my design and bleeding tip question.
There is no water in my diesel. I looked at filter. Fuel is clean. My problem is lift pump not pumping.
By noon today, I will know the pump design question; the new one should answer that question.
My questions were on pump design and bleeding tips only.
Manual states this is a self bleeding system. As are all diesels if you crank long enough.:confused:
for example, remove vent line at tank and pressurize, remove return line at tank and vacuum, etc?
Any tips on bleeding beyond just crank and crank?
Wayne

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check the strainer for blockage on the end of the pickup tube in the tank.

It pulls straight out of a rubber grommet under the drivers seat. Is a 8-10" rubber pipe with a screen on the end.

Been thru all you have on a pair of 04 6 wheel diesel gators at work-clogged screens.

Brent

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WayneBurton QUOTE: "I removed the inlet hose (at pump) and inserted my own hose into fuel. The lift pump will neither hand pump or crank pump."

Found my problem. lift pump. Have part. Indeed diaphram pump. Thanks. I will pull the screen and check that too.

It pulls straight out of a rubber grommet under the drivers seat. Is a 8-10" rubber pipe with a screen on the end.

Been thru all you have on a pair of 04 6 wheel diesel gators at work-clogged screens.

Brent

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brent,
Excellent suggestion.:bananapow
:thanku: When I checked that strainer, it had small trash stuff on it. Not clogged, but getting there. Problem was lift pump. Perfect now.

BTW - Found that if you pull the pass thru return rubber line at top of filter assembly and suction it, fuel will prime thru filter, thru pump cranking time prime is reduce. (As the JD manual states, this is a self priming system, but if you run it out of fuel, it will take five minutes of cranking). When fuel is suctioned- use 17mm and open three fuel lines at injector --prime bubbles away. All this is likely why the starter is the # 1 replacement item on gators.

By suctioning, I reduce cranking to two 10 second burst. Book tells you to use (14mm) wrench and open fuel line at lift pump inlet till fuel is present. Got to get under bed to do that. EZ'r--Lift bed, suction - replace line, loosen injector lines and 20 seconds later you're running.
Wayne

Brent

1 - 5 of 5 Posts