My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to mount up my Gator mulching blades on my 10304 and 10324. I want to set these at 90 degrees to the crank while the motor is at TDC. How/what is the easiest way to tell if the piston is at TDC? Flywheel marks? long straw in the spark plug hole? hahah.

Any tips? I want to get these on the right way.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I am going to mount up my Gator mulching blades on my 10304 and 10324. I want to set these at 90 degrees to the crank while the motor is at TDC. How/what is the easiest way to tell if the piston is at TDC? Flywheel marks? long straw in the spark plug hole? hahah.

Watch the piston through the exhaust ports and you can watch it rise to it's top most position. You have to bring the piston up to cover the ports when you clean them anyway.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watch the piston through the exhaust ports and you can watch it rise to it's top most position. You have to bring the piston up to cover the ports when you clean them anyway.
Thanks !

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a gator blade on my 10550 early last year and was cutting some grass about 5 inches with the mower set at 3.5". I did not have the fan on, just the blade. The mower couldn't handle it. It just stalled and built up a huge caked on mess under the mower. I put the try cut blade on and it worked fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a gator blade on my 10550 early last year and was cutting some grass about 5 inches with the mower set at 3.5". I did not have the fan on, just the blade. The mower couldn't handle it. It just stalled and built up a huge caked on mess under the mower. I put the try cut blade on and it worked fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Interesting. Was the Gator new?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Gator blade was brand new. The grass was not too tall. I like to cut before it gets to 5", but 1.5" off of 5" is not out of the question. I really liked the idea of the gator blade, but had much better luck with the tri-cut. The buildup under the deck was incredibly thick.

I have read elsewhere that some have had problems with the gators, in that they don't mulch into small pieces, but rather puree the grass clippings into a slimy mess.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Gator blade was brand new. The grass was not too tall. I like to cut before it gets to 5", but 1.5" off of 5" is not out of the question. I really liked the idea of the gator blade, but had much better luck with the tri-cut. The buildup under the deck was incredibly thick.

I have read elsewhere that some have had problems with the gators, in that they don't mulch into small pieces, but rather puree the grass clippings into a slimy mess.
I wonder if others have had this problem?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I tend to agree with the assessment...you can get a puree buildup under your deck with these.

Incidentally, I have a spare 21" gator blade if someone wants to give it a try!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is saddening me ....I have two coming in the mail. Only $34 but still-wish I 'd heard this before.

·
2 strokes forever!
471 Posts
I really like my Gator blade on my 10550. No problems as long as the grass is dry. Wet or semi-wet is another story.

·
Registered
467 Posts
No, it's not that bad at all. Incidentally, when I ordered my most recent gator blade, I thought they sent the the wrong blade. That's because when I bought some a few years back, they looked exactly like a regular LB blade, except with the "teeth". The one I have now has a very pronounced shoulder bend, and is flat with no curled up edges in the center like LB blades. I prefer the blade that looks more like the standard.

I've been a big fan of using the side discharge along with the Gator blade. No matter what blade you use, I think LB's can struggle a bit with mulching in thick grass because the deck is not domed.

Toro has a good design with the "kickers" under the deck for the Super Recyclers. But you don't see these on any LB.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, it's not that bad at all. Incidentally, when I ordered my most recent gator blade, I thought they sent the the wrong blade. That's because when I bought some a few years back, they looked exactly like a regular LB blade, except with the "teeth". The one I have now has a very pronounced shoulder bend, and is flat with no curled up edges in the center like LB blades. I prefer the blade that looks more like the standard.

I've been a big fan of using the side discharge along with the Gator blade. No matter what blade you use, I think LB's can struggle a bit with mulching in thick grass because the deck is not domed.

Toro has a good design with the "kickers" under the deck for the Super Recyclers. But you don't see these on any LB.
So the gator with a side discharge and no fan is the best bet so I don;t have mush under the decks?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I mulch with my gator. Its not even the correct blade for my 6259 either. It started out as a 22" blade and I cut it down. So its missing the one lift up turn on each end. It cuts fine. How many people mow in the wet anyway.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mulch with my gator. Its not even the correct blade for my 6259 either. It started out as a 22" blade and I cut it down. So its missing the one lift up turn on each end. It cuts fine. How many people mow in the wet anyway.
SO if we are talking about fairly DRY grass-which mine usually is-not much grass puree' underneath..?:i_praying

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Yeah, if you mow dry, you should be set. You don't want that chlorophyll puree under the deck, especially when it dries.

·
Registered
73 Posts

I'm just curious, does it make a difference how this blade performs when you install it at this piston position. I'm looking at getting one of these blades this season, and want to install it right.
-Karl

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'm just curious, does it make a difference how this blade performs when you install it at this piston position. I'm looking at getting one of these blades this season, and want to install it right.
-Karl
You know, the manual says to mount it that way but I've never really noticed enough difference to worry about it. If it was that important, why didn't they mark the end of the crank at the factory? Still, you can't go wrong by following the manual. A balanced blade makes the most difference.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
i have never bothered to mount them 90deg out just slap them on a mow. i would say your gov is set too low if you are having probs mulching. there are 2 versions on the gator for lawnboy -one straight -one gull winged-the straight does work better. the gullwing one fits bbc i think. both blades seem to have the same part#? so its a crap shoot when you order

1 - 20 of 34 Posts