My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently changed out my OEM deck blades for the gators and i noticed some vibration now when i cut grass, is this normal with the gators? :drunkie:

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
I don't know about vibration, but they are definitely louder. :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, i definitely noticed that! Its like a humming sound but the vibration is the other thing that i noticed too, just wondered if its because of the design of the blade that causes that?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't think you should be getting any vibration. I put a set of Gators on my Husqvarna last year, they were a little quieter than the husqy OEM but did not vibrate.

·
Registered
234 Posts
1. Check blade balance.
2. Make sure you have the correct hole size on your blade. There should be almost no play when loose.
3. Check for a bent shaft on the deck.

I have been using these for years, and have not noticed vibration.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
I've been using gators as well for many years on my 48" deck, never noticed any vibration at all. As mentioned, I would double check for balance, proper fit, and tightness :fing32:.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
How do you check a blade for balance.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
You shouldn't get any vibration, I know in the past that Gator use to come with a heavy coating of powder coat. You needed to take a rat tail file to the inside of the mounting hole and just remove the powder coating until you saw metal. The coating use to be heavy enough, so that you couldn't pull the blade up so it was flush with the spindle. I`d drop the blade, rat tail out the powder coating in the hole and reinstall the blade. you may have gotten a old set Gator of blades, that been sitting on the shelf.

I noticed that a few year ago with Gators on JD products. But most new Gators don`t have that problem now, nothing wrong with the blade if its just to much coating in the hole. But if the blade is defective Oregon outdoor equipment will make it right, they want to see the defect blade or blades so they can fix it before anything does go wrong, they take pride in their products.

A member of another forum had a problem with a set he bought and he contacted them and they rush a set out to him and paid for UPS to come pick them up problem set.

Heres a link if you need to contact them.

http://www.oregonchain.com/pro/service/contact_us.htm

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The blades were heavly coated, i will take them back off and sand down the coating and put them back on and try it.

·
Banned
587 Posts
I'll be a thorn in one side here. My 54" deck on the 345 wasn't performing as I thought it should. So I ordered a set of Gator blades, thinking this is a whole new world for mowing. Well!, I was disappointed in their (Gator) operation. Had some vibration on two spindles. Switch the blades and still the vibration. Decided to order another set to replace the first ones. I didn't see any difference. In checking the internet on blades for this deck, I came across http://www.mowtownusa.com/80.html who sales these Stens brand. Ordered a set at $7.99 ea. ($23.97 for the three). WOW! what a difference... no vibration, very little noise, and I've mowed 9 acres twice, and they are still sharp.

No more Gators for me, or those infamous expensive JD dealer brands.

These Stens blades are made in Germany.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Far cheaper and easier to check the balance w/new blades than re-ordering, unmounting/mounting, etc. I check the balance of all blades I buy, walking mower or the tractor. It is VERY important to remove the powder coat from any areas where the blade contacts the spindle and the mounting bolt/washer. I had 2 out of 3 new Gators loosen when I first got them AND they were torqued to spec. Powder coat makes a pretty good lubrication equivalent to "teflon powder" when it breaks down under pressure.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
I have been using Gator blades for years on JD with a 48" deck and my 21" push mower. Love them. No vibration at all. They cut much better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nope, there shouldn't be any vibration. My Gators are quite a bit quieter than the high-lift OEM blades I had and no vibration.

I would remove the deck and check to make sure that the blades and/or washers are not mis-positioned. Any little thing that is keeping the blade from seating perfectly on the spindle could cause a vibration. I would remove all the blades, check for dirt or mis-positioning and bolt them back on. If that doesn't do it, you may have a defective blade.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nope, there shouldn't be any vibration. My Gators are quite a bit quieter than the high-lift OEM blades I had and no vibration.

I would remove the deck and check to make sure that the blades and/or washers are not mis-positioned. Any little thing that is keeping the blade from seating perfectly on the spindle could cause a vibration. I would remove all the blades, check for dirt or mis-positioning and bolt them back on. If that doesn't do it, you may have a defective blade.

Good advice there! I had some vibration, took it to the dealer, only find out that I didn't have one blade mounted exactly right on the shoulder of the spindle. It's easy to do if you rush.

·
Banned
587 Posts
FD611V, I clicked on the link you posted, but did not see the word Stens anywhere?
Am I missing something?

They are Stens brand blades.

If you have a John Deere deck, just clink on John Deere and find the deck size, and scroll down till you find the blade size.

I've ordered two sets (6 blades), and they both came Stens stamped on the blades.

The packing slip shows the blades were dropped shipped from the Stens warehouse in Acworth, Ga.

Does the Motown. Com have a toll free number. Make the call to be sure you will get the Stens blades.

·
Registered
178 Posts
They are Stens brand blades.

If you have a John Deere deck, just clink on John Deere and find the deck size, and scroll down till you find the blade size.

I've ordered two sets (6 blades), and they both came Stens stamped on the blades.

The packing slip shows the blades were dropped shipped from the Stens warehouse in Acworth, Ga.

Does the Motown. Com have a toll free number. Make the call to be sure you will get the Stens blades.
How do the stens blades cut? Are they like the gator blade with the fins on the back?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts