My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used the gator blades on a 54C deck. I have a GX335 and want to know how these blades cut. Also, which one is better, the regular gator blade, the 3-in-1 gator blade or the fusion gator blade?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I just use the original gators on my 54C and they do a great job. slkpk

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I liked the Gators so well on the 62C, I just bought a set for the 50" Simplicity too.:thThumbsU

I don't know why, but grass does not seem to build up under the deck near as bad with Gators.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all I know is don't get the fusion blades if you like to sharpen blades.
Have you had experience with the fusion blades? I know the blades from john deere get nicked up very easily.

Also, has anybody cut wet grass with the gator blades?

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I put a set of Gators on my 54C deck. LOVE them, they chew the grass much finer than the OEM's do, and I've noticed my deck doesn't pack up quite as much if the grass is damp. They will cut thick, wet, tall grass very well, and seem to be holding their edge a bit better than the OEMs' also.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
With the C decks from JD the gators do a great job in wet grass. slkpk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, where has everybody bought there gator blades from? I was thinking of buying online, because they are way cheaper than a local guy sells them for here. But I am concernced if anybody has had any issues with the gator blades hitting the side of their deck?

The only reason I as, because my dad has a 01 LX series with a 42" deck and he tried to put the gator blades on his deck and I guess one of the blades hit the sides of the deck.

My GX335 is a 2005 or 2006 model.

·
Registered
65 Posts
To resurrect an old thread.... Gator blades make a great difference in my lawn. Not very many clippings to sweep, so I sold my lawn sweeper! I noticed a big decrease in the amount of accumulation under the deck too! Try 'em, you'll like 'em!!!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Do you have the "mulch kit", ie the plastic part that goes under the deck and blocks the discharge port? Or did you just swap the original blades with the Gators and still have the side discharge and deck the same? I'm just trying to figure out if you need the mulch kit in order to get a quality job with mulch blades, either JD or Gator or whatever. :dunno:

·
Registered
65 Posts
No mulch kit required. It's amazing at how small the clippings are. Buy some Gators, bolt them on & go mow! :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have Gator blades on my 48C and love 'em. and I know my sister has them on her 52C deck and hers does a good job too. I purchased them online at mowtownusa.com

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
So, where has everybody bought there gator blades from? I was thinking of buying online, because they are way cheaper than a local guy sells them for here.
Get your best price on line, and take it in to them.
90% of the time they'll match Internet prices.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts