My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time living in an area where there are seasons and I already have a bunch of leaves in the yard, will it be fine to mulch them or should I get a lawn sweeper?

·
-
1,829 Posts
Yes. :) I'm sure you'll get various opinions on the subject - I'd say depends on the amount of leaves to some degree.

I mulch mine and they go into the lawn for food, but I only have a few trees and it's manageable. If you have a lot of trees you may end up with more leaves than you can reasonably mulch into the lawn and then you'd want to sweep them up.

I also collect some of them and put them in my garden boxes to break down and provide nutrients and dead matter for the soil.

You could also start a compost pile if you have a garden.

·
Super Moderator
32,754 Posts
I have a lot of trees so I mow them over real good making a couple of "wind rows" then pick them up with the sweeper and dump them in the lower yard and then push them up with the blade and into the woods. I never touch a rake anymore!

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Use both, mulch up the leaves before sweeping them up, I`ve done it that way, works well, then if you can dump them in the woods just blow the pile out flat instead of building a big pile. the 42" high speed sweeper hold 18 bushels, made by Agri-Fab.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Not sure how I will do it now with the 530 vs the LX280 with pirana deck I just sold. I would mow every day when the leaves sarted falling but when they were coming too fast I switched to the sweeper. Guesss I'll tryPA318's way this year unless I buy a mulch kit for the deck. My opinion is if youcan mulch them fine enough it's good for the grass, free fertilizer.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so if i mow about 1" higher than the grass that should work to mulch them then?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I mow some of the grass in with it in the morning when there is still dew on it. The wetness of the grass helps to reduce it.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I mostly mulch and also use a sweeper to pick up some of the mulched leafs to put on the garden in the fall. slkpk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts