My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's got the best deal on Gator blades?

Tell me again about them. Are they a High vacuum blade, or more like a regular blade, and do they work okay with something like a Power Flow? If they shred the clippings better than a standard blade, then I'm all for it.

I'm going to need new blades for my JD 54C deck, and soon. I noticed the other day that the turned up "wing", on the trailing edge of the blade behind the cutting edge, is beginning to wear thin at the outer end of the blade. I found this out while cleaning the deck, and when I bumped the edge of the blade, it was razor sharp and cut me a little. (this is the back side, not the cutting side, of the blade).

I've got 155 hours on these blades, been sharpened twice. Do any of you guys notice wear like this? I had it happen on another deck, a 60" Land Pride rear mower. The wing area on those blades wore thin before the cutting edge wore out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Blade wing wear seems more prone to areas where there are sandy conditions, the blades pick up bits of sand and get worn away. I live in a clay loam area, never have had the problem, but heard others mention it.
Jeff

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I live in coastal area of Nc and I wouldn't use them here. My neighbor used them, and they wouldn't hold up. But we have alot of sand here.

Walter

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I've been using the gators for years on my 54 inch decks. I don't have any sand and they hold up very well for me. I also use them with the mulch kit on. Once they cut the little grooves in the mulch kit they work great chopping of the grass and leafs. I haven't bought any replacment blades in years and next year I will need to get some more or I'm also thinking about switching over and trying these http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=52964
slkpk

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just installed Gator's on my 135 yesterday...the yard did'nt need cutting however I'd forgotten a small strip in front of the sidewalk. made two passes through about 7" cutting it to 3" and could'nt see any clippings at all. Got mine for under $15.00 + $8.00 shp. from Jacks small engines....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I live in coastal area of Nc and I wouldn't use them here. My neighbor used them, and they wouldn't hold up. But we have alot of sand here.

Walter
Where do you live in NC? I live out East as well, in Beaufort County, and I am now wondering if this is something I need to keep an eye on.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Hi KHodges ,

I can't comment on the Gator blades , never used them , but :ditto: to what
BOOMINIT said , I also have sandy soil and at the end of one mowing season
the blades will be literally flat ( no lift wing left ) ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I'm inland some,Duplin county. If you run the blades keep an eye on them. In less then one season my neighbors blades wore down enough both ends were gone.

Walter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts