My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
5,857 Posts
Bummer...I was looking forward to seeing how it would have come out...nice job helping him out with that tank....that one looks really good...especially when you consider its age (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you Eric. I really appreciate the effort and the favor. If your cousin ever has the time, I'd like to check out his collection, if nothing else, just for reference pics.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update. It's lined and ready to go. The boss just has to call the customer. Also this is a public service announcement. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PUT STA-BIL IN A LINED TANK. It has a solvent in it that will eat the liner out. We've seen it happen quit a few times here.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
That looks great! And thanks for the tip about incompatibility. That never would have occurred to me.

·
Super Moderator
31,041 Posts
Update. It's lined and ready to go. The boss just has to call the customer. Also this is a public service announcement. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PUT STA-BIL IN A LINED TANK. It has a solvent in it that will eat the liner out. We've seen it happen quit a few times here.

Thanks for that note on the STA-BIL it will help others here for sure, and nice to see a company and member go out of their way to fix up another MTF member.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We've delt with that issue on more than one occasion. We couldn't figure out why the sta-bil and bio diesel kept eating out the liners. So my wife went to digging on the internet and found they both have the same solvent in them. I know several of you all probably use it so I figured it was best to let you know. And here at The Cooling Center we always do our best to help a customer in any way we can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I received the call this morning. Thank you all so much. I really appreciate y'all going above and beyond. I'll make sure that the next time I have issues with the radiators on my equipment, I go see you guys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That is the one. I wasn't sure about the advertising policy on the site, so I was checking on it before I posted the link. Thank you, Red.

And, believe me, before I called them...I got a LOT of "welllllll...we really don't do that kinda thing" replies. These were the first guys who said "Lemme take a look."

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is the one. I wasn't sure about the advertising policy on the site, so I was checking on it before I posted the link. Thank you, Red.

And, believe me, before I called them...I got a LOT of "welllllll...we really don't do that kinda thing" replies. These were the first guys who said "Lemme take a look."
Thank you for the good word. We do try and believe me I've done some really bad ones.
To everyone else. If you call us and are willing to ship it to us we'll do the best we can to fix or even build you a complete new radiator. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to build a new file tank yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Curious...how is the liner applied?
It's easy to line a tank as far as the liner. You pour it in and rotate the tank until all the surfaces are covered then drain out the excess. However these tanks have a baffle in them and unless you have a perfect tank there's no way to know what is on the other side of the baffle unless you cut a hole in the tank on that side. I wouldn't advise this for the average person. You would really need to take it to a professional to do that and get it filled in correctly. Also if its rusty there's no way to get the rust out of that side unless you cut it open. Plus contrary to what people say I wouldn't advise lining that has pin holes in it. Because that means the metal has gotten thin and if you drop something on it or hit it there's a good chance you will knock a hole in it. If you do have a tank that is good inside and want to do it yourself then take it to a radiator shop and have them put a 1/4"npt bung in one of the corners that you can see by looking through the filler neck. That way you can drain it and see that you don't leave a puddle in it. Now as far as a liner to use I'd definitely recommend Redkote. The stuff you get at the parts stores are crap and don't usually last.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It's easy to line a tank as far as the liner. You pour it in and rotate the tank until all the surfaces are covered then drain out the excess. However these tanks have a baffle in them and unless you have a perfect tank there's no way to know what is on the other side of the baffle unless you cut a hole in the tank on that side. I wouldn't advise this for the average person. You would really need to take it to a professional to do that and get it filled in correctly. Also if its rusty there's no way to get the rust out of that side unless you cut it open. Plus contrary to what people say I wouldn't advise lining that has pin holes in it. Because that means the metal has gotten thin and if you drop something on it or hit it there's a good chance you will knock a hole in it. If you do have a tank that is good inside and want to do it yourself then take it to a radiator shop and have them put a 1/4"npt bung in one of the corners that you can see by looking through the filler neck. That way you can drain it and see that you don't leave a puddle in it. Now as far as a liner to use I'd definitely recommend Redkote. The stuff you get at the parts stores are crap and don't usually last.

Thanks so much for the info.....

21 - 36 of 36 Posts