My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I hope I am posting this in the right forum. I was cleaning out the gas tank on my 104 and it seemed to be coming clean ok. I went to check on it today and, when taking off the cap, this happened!

I'm guessing I'll need a new tank, but the 10HP tanks seem to be made out of gold and unicorn spit. Can the 12HP (2 gallon) tanks fit on my tractor without much fuss?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you have enough room....but the straps won't be long enough
Thank you. I can get straps for it, but I may also have to change the cradles on the engine.

I'm going to take it to a radiator shop tomorrow to see if they can fix it and hope for the best.

·
5,874 Posts
Your picture came out upside down, so hard to tell what the specific problem...other than a lot of rust is...you can try a wire brush wheel on the outside, put gravel inside and tumble it to clean that out and try Red Kote tank liner. for any holes...you can just use some petroleum product resistant rubber like material under the tank to make that space up and absorb the pressure from the cradles

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Let me ask a stupid question... if the tank is free of vapor and gas could a section be cut out and a new filler and cap put on?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
......if the tank is free of vapor and gas could a section be cut out and a new filler and cap put on?
Sure could, get a 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 pipe nipple, cut it in half and either solder or weld it on, get a corresponding size pipe cap, small vent hole and ur good to go. You may even find a nipple that will fit in the existing hole which would save removing the remnants of the old filler..........Mike

·
5,874 Posts
It would be hard to weld it in without vaporizing what is left of that tank..I think even a good MIG would have trouble with it...I don't know anything about brazing, but I think that is a possibility...it can be soldered, but requires special solder and flux to do it, but soldered joints have to be particularly clean or the solder just falls off when it cools and I don't think you could get that tank clean enough for any of these prosesses

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took iy to a radiator shop. The guy says he is going to do what he can, but he felt pretty confident he would be able to fix it...we'll see.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When you come in I'll be the one either working on a fuel tank or at the welder. I've only got 5 tanks to do at the moment and what ever side rails on radiators to weld on when they pop up.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK everyone. Update on the tank. I didn't want to say anything until my boss called the customer this morning. The tank was shot. Pin holes in both sides and the top of the tank was so thin you can move it with a finger. I figured all this out Friday. So I went home and my cousin who has 15 cubs and countless engines looked through his stuff and found another tank. It looks new inside. All that's left is dry it out from washing it and line it per customer request.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts