My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i just picked up a 12 hp vert shaft motor (out of a craftsman) and it doesn't have a gas tank, Im replacing an 8hp with attached gas tank. Now how high do i have to mount the tank?

anyone have any pics of gas tank locations... I don't want to mount it to low or to high...

thanks for all the help, hopefully i can get some pics up real soon.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
The gravity feed engines I have seem to have the bottom of the fuel tank two to three inches above the float valve on the carb.

Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dude, its going on a mid 70s gambles, which i beleive was an mtd.

Mike, thanks, now i atleast know about where to mount it, depending on new tank size, the 8hp motors, it was about level.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Dude, its going on a mid 70s gambles, which i beleive was an mtd.

Mike, thanks, now i atleast know about where to mount it, depending on new tank size, the 8hp motors, it was about level.
Well now that all that's cleared up---are we gonna get to see it??:trink40:

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
For optimal fuel delivery and to utilize all of the fuel in the tank, you want the bottom of the tank at least an inch above the level of the fuel in the float bowl of the carb. 2 inches is probably as high as you need to go. But if you have a very hilly property and you will be running it on an angle a lot, you might want to go even higher so that the fuel in the tank stays above the level of the fuel in the carb in all situations.

You can really mount it as low or high as you want. Just remember that any fuel in the part of the tank that's below the level of the fuel in the float bowl won't be available for the engine to use. If you put the bottom of the tank right at the level of the float, then it probably won't run very well on the last few ounces of fuel, and might act like it's run out of fuel if you're on a slope even when it still has a little left in it.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
I just looked at your pictures. Picture number 9 and picture number 12 show the fuel line with an in-line fuel filter coming from somewhere low on the tractor. This makes me think that it's got a fuel pump. If it does, then the fuel tank can be lower than the carb because it doesn't rely on gravity.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Areins snow blower with an 8 hp Tecumseh Eng that has the fuel tank level with the engine, if I have less than a half full tank of gas the engine will run out of gas going up hill on my very steep driveway.Its all stock and a poor engineered setup for any mobile equipment.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The line is jsut there, it was hooked to the motor and just have it hanging. It was hooked to a tank that was about 6 incsh above the motor, thats why i ask about tank placement.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,272 Posts
That's a neat little machine! Looks like you have some work cut out for yourself though!

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
I just had a thought. Where was the gas tank located on the Craftsman tractor that the donor engine is coming from? Might the new engine have a fuel pump?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, i have no idea. the motor was bolted to a board and had a tank zip tied to a 2x4 about 6 inches above the motor.

I never saw the mower. thats why i was asking. Maybe i could do a fuel pump but have no idea how much fuel to push at it. (ive never used a pump on a no injected motor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts