My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was a pretty good idea but how accurate are they also do you know if they vent like they should? Does anyone use them? Is it worth it?

Thanks

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
If you purchased a generic, I doubt it is very accurate.

There was a guy on Ebay custom making them. You sent him measurements for bottom of filler neck to bottom of tank, and top of filler neck to bottom of filler neck.

Of course, these all assume the tank is a perfect cube or cylinder. Typically, at the centerline of many tanks, you have less than one half the capacity remaining.

Still, if you have a half inch or so below the bottom of the gauge, and you pay attention to when the gauge says empty, you should have enough gas to get back to the barn.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
On the web somewhere is the measurements to use a paint stick and make yourself a gauge. Mark one up, put a few magnets on it so it will stick to the hood and you have a gauge for pennies.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Good idea there John.

I suppose to be even more accurate, you could drain the tank at the fuel valve (there will be some gas left in the tank likely). Then mark your paint stick for empty. Add a gallon at a time (or whatever increment you care to use), marking it each time until full.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a really good idea. But I would like to be able to pop the hood up while still working to get a quick peek to see about how much I have.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Good idea there John.

I suppose to be even more accurate, you could drain the tank at the fuel valve (there will be some gas left in the tank likely). Then mark your paint stick for empty. Add a gallon at a time (or whatever increment you care to use), marking it each time until full.
Cool....

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Here are the measurements to make a paint stick gas gauge.

Overall length 10 5/16 inches from the bottom to top of each mark
1 gal = 1 1/4"
2 gal = 2 1/16"
3 gal = 2 ¾"
4 gal = 3 15/32"
5 gal = 4 3/16"
6 gal = 4 7/8"
7 gal = 5 9/16"
8 gal = 6 ¼"
9 gal = 7 3/16"
10 gal = 8 1/16"

·
Registered
680 Posts
I carry a small ball pien hammer that I use to check fuel level. It's small enough to fit in the tool box and still usable for other uses as well. I'm gonna have to mark it for gallons now.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Here are the measurements to make a paint stick gas gauge.

Overall length 10 5/16 inches from the bottom to top of each mark
1 gal = 1 1/4"
2 gal = 2 1/16"
3 gal = 2 ¾"
4 gal = 3 15/32"
5 gal = 4 3/16"
6 gal = 4 7/8"
7 gal = 5 9/16"
8 gal = 6 ¼"
9 gal = 7 3/16"
10 gal = 8 1/16"
Wouldn't all these measurements depend on every fuel tank on every tractor being the exact same dimensions ?

And the Guy thats on Ebay is Dean he can supply stock gauge caps or custom make one for you if you wish, I'm hoping to get over to his place and have one made for mine this week.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
You are correct, Ron. This measurements discussed here are specific to the Ford 8N/2N/9N tractors, all of which apparently use the same tank.

Dean's caps (and all of that type) are going to be inaccurate as the twist typically is constant (approx 300 degrees over the length of the float supports). They could, but do not in my experience take in to account the shape of the tank.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
You are correct, Ron. This measurements discussed here are specific to the Ford 8N/2N/9N tractors, all of which apparently use the same tank.

Dean's caps (and all of that type) are going to be inaccurate as the twist typically is constant (approx 300 degrees over the length of the float supports). They could, but do not in my experience take in to account the shape of the tank.
Well I hope its a straight lift float type I will soon see.

And if it gets me close to being accurate on the bottom end thats ok because I just want to get it back to the shed before she runs dry, its a pain to get it restarted after it runs empty.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Well I hope its a straight lift float type I will soon see.

And if it gets me close to being accurate on the bottom end thats ok because I just want to get it back to the shed before she runs dry, its a pain to get it restarted after it runs empty.
Just have Dean clip your's a little short, so you have a quart or so when you think you are empty.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Just have Dean clip your's a little short, so you have a quart or so when you think you are empty.
Thats what I was thinking also.

I had my mechanic bend the float on the new tank I had to put in my van this spring so it show less than whats really in it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bad thing is I know I would have more gas than what it showes and try to cut the last strip of grass LOL

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought one of the gas caps w/ guage from Just 8N's . Their listing was for an 8N gas tank. It came with a instruction sheet that said, if you are concerned about the vent hole in your gas tank being plugged...drill a 1/16 hole in the top of the cap between the "F" and the "E" on the bottem of the cap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts