My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I have yet to finish my current 816S project, this was too convenient to pass up. Popped up on CL, about 40 minutes down the road - 1974 816S (S/N 23063A).

The Good
  • Newer engine (PO says about 500 hours)
  • Quiet/smooth transmission
  • PTO clutch seems in good shape
  • Solid mower deck
  • Spring lift assist
  • Brackets for front attachments
  • Front PTO (but not the drive shaft)
The Bad
  • Clutches need some serious adjustment (possibly new cams)
  • No hydraulics, obviously
  • Flat front tire
  • Handful of misc. jury rigs to correct
Good thing I'm running out of room in the shop, or this could get dangerous...

-Neil (jeepagain)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,192 Posts
Even though I have yet to finish my current 816S project, this was too convenient to pass up. Popped up on CL, about 40 minutes down the road - 1974 816S (S/N 23063A).

Yes, all of the symptoms are there. That's GAS talking!:tango_face_grin: Congratulations! You should have a nice running tractor with not too much work.

·
Gravely1964
3,843 Posts
First off nice project 816-S :D

And also welcome to G.A.S. . Mid as well build the addition on the garage now :D

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
First off nice project 816-S :D

And also welcome to G.A.S. . Mid as well build the addition on the garage now :D
Right.

You know that now that you have a breeding pair, you're doomed, right? You'll come out the shed and wonder "where did those new ones come from?". And then there are the problems of driving down the street and having them jump into the back of your truck . . .

G.A.S. It's not for sissies :)

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,964 Posts
Uh-oh! NOW you did it. A running tractor and a parts tractor. Until you discover you don't need any parts. And the parts tractor is too nice to strip for parts. And parts can be had as parts. And the parts tractor would be a great backup, you know, just in case . . . . uh . . . . yeah.

GAS

You got it, bud! Its all downhill from here. Next you'll want a 816 to go with your 816S cuz everyone says how sweet the Onan motor on the 816 is. And then . . . .

Go ahead and spin it out.

You're hooked.

:sidelaugh

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right.

You know that now that you have a breeding pair, you're doomed, right?

It's funny because when I look at the shop, the first thought that comes to mind is "rabbits"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uh-oh! NOW you did it. A running tractor and a parts tractor. Until you discover you don't need any parts. And the parts tractor is too nice to strip for parts. And parts can be had as parts. And the parts tractor would be a great backup, you know, just in case . . . . uh . . . . yeah.

GAS

You got it, bud! Its all downhill from here. Next you'll want a 816 to go with your 816S cuz everyone says how sweet the Onan motor on the 816 is. And then . . . .

Go ahead and spin it out.

You're hooked.

:sidelaugh
In a freakish way, that sounds uncannily accurate! Is there a cure?? :praying:

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,964 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Is there a cure?? :praying:
No. But there is a support group. It's right here.

Except that we often get accused of being enablers :)

·
Super Moderator
11,192 Posts
It's funny because when I look at the shop, the first thought that comes to mind is "rabbits"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your pic has GAS written all over it.:tango_face_grin: Forget about a cure. But as jrd said, you will find a lot of "support" here. I see that you still have plenty of space left too.:tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
"I can quit any time I want. Done it dozens of times..." :)

·
Super Moderator
11,192 Posts
See Neil? Nothing to worry about. It all makes perfect sense here. Now if you line your three riders along the back wall, and stack a few of your attachments, you should have room for at least another ten, or fifteen more tractors.:fing32:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts