My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. Came home to smell of gas. I hadn't shut off the cutoff on the duraforce. I assume it is the needle/seat float combination. Gas was coming out the muffler and the whole crankcase seems to be filled with gas. This is a new needle and seat but not float. Maybe it was installed wrong but I don't know how that could be possible. How can I drain this out? I turn it and gas just shoots out the exhaust. Do I have to pull the carb again and replace the needle and seat again? Does anybody want a perfect compression duraforce in central jersey? I'm about done with this thing. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Help. Came home to smell of gas. I hadn't shut off the cutoff on the duraforce. I assume it is the needle/seat float combination. Gas was coming out the muffler and the whole crankcase seems to be filled with gas. This is a new needle and seat but not float. Maybe it was installed wrong but I don't know how that could be possible. How can I drain this out? I turn it and gas just shoots out the exhaust. Do I have to pull the carb again and replace the needle and seat again? Does anybody want a perfect compression duraforce in central jersey? I'm about done with this thing. Thanks.
Sounds like a float issue. Put a new float in make sure its adjusted properly 7/16" without the gasket and it should be fine. You've emptied your whole gas tank into the crank case. You can turn it on end (make it do a wheelie) and put it against the wall after you pull the carb and have it all drain back through the reed valve fix the float and you're good.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Or the float might have been installed upside down? I don't even have a fuel shutoff valve on my duraforce, just a filter and no problems here, except that being my luck my duraforce is probably drooling out of it's muffler as I'm typing this. :ROF

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or the float might have been installed upside down? I don't even have a fuel shutoff valve on my duraforce, just a filter and no problems here, except that being my luck my duraforce is probably drooling out of it's muffler as I'm typing this. :ROF
Please explain which way it should go. The parts diagram looks like it is one way and the engine manual the opposite. Since it is a float, I would assume it floats either way. Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do remember now. I was only able to get the float within specs in one direction so that is the way I put it in. How do you adjust it to get to exact? Is it just bending it?

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Yeah, take a pair of needle-nose pliers and bend the metal part, don't put any bending pressure on the float.

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
Hi Droc,

If it runs good the way it is why mess with it? Install one of those inexpensive Briggs petcocks in the fuel line to stop the flow and then you dont have to worry about this issue any longer.

Its just the nature of the beast and can happen with any mower. Why Toro nixed the fuel petcock shutoff on the D/F is anyones guess. If you look you will notice that all the OMC Lawnboys had fuel shutoff petcocks on their tanks.

To drain the liquid, be careful of the risk of fire. Also consider that you could hydro lock the cylinder if its really full. Hydro lock will prevent the piston from moving all the way to the top of its stroke. The reason is because of liquid fuel presence in the combustion chamber. Liquid cannot be compressed like a vapor and if you force it over could do some damage. I would take the mower outside, pull the spark plug, put the unit up on its side and turn it over slowly until you stop seeing liquid shooting out of the plug hole.

Best wishes,
Bob

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bob and others for responding, one more question regarding the float. The float has a flat side and a side with two have circle cut-offs. Without bending it, the only way the float was near the right range was with the flat side facing down towards the ground when installed. Is this the correct way.

Bob, I do have a cut-off switch but in this case I had forgot to turn it off. I was able to empty and start it again. I have not been able to get this mower to run properly though so I figured the float is about the only thing that hasn't been replaced. Given what just happened and that I have a new needle and seat installed, maybe the float has been the culprit. This is a real surging mower. If the float doesn't do it then I'm guessing the engine seals are leaking.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I bump this question about the float installation? Somebody said it might be in backwards. I want to make sure it is not. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts