My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a CC LT1046 with a CV23 Twin cylinder 23HP motor. At the time, it was only running on one cylinder. One of the spark plug wires was chewed in two by mice. Anyway, I don't know if the previous owner ran it much like that or not. But I changed the oil when I got it home. I ran it for about 20 minutes like that before I realized it was only running on one cylinder. So, I guess my question is: with the gas not getting ignited, does some of it push into the crank case during operation and should I change the oil again since I ran it that way for about 20 minutes before I put new coils and spark plug wires on it? If I do change the oil, can I keep the oil filter at least?

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
8,732 Posts
Check the oil level to see if it's over full and smell the end of the dipstick to see if it smells of gas. If either is true (over full and/or smells of gas), I would change the oil.

I would also probably change the filter, but there's not that much oil in it. Unless there is a LOT of gas in the oil (as in WAY over full) I would suggest just leaving the filter alone.

But, most likely, it was just wasting gas pushing it all out the exhaust port, and not much went into the engine oil.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave. I will just change out the oil. I didn't run it that long and it doesn't smell like there is really any gas in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts