My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cutting grass this morning the mower (14 hp briggs) began to load up and started gushing fuel out of carb before choking off. Drained oil / checked fuel shut off solenoid - it's OK / float good / flushed oil out twice. It cranked and ran fine, so I finished cutting grass. WHAT happened ?

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,269 Posts
" Drained oil / checked fuel shut off solenoid - it's OK / float good / flushed oil out twice. It cranked and ran fine, so I finished cutting grass. WHAT happened ?"

First off, the fuel shut off solenoid DOES NOT stop fuel from feeding the carb. I only blocks fuel from the main metering jet.

You float needle leaking filling the crankcase with gas contaminated oil and the high level caused it to be blown out. Install an inline gas shut off valve and use it when the engine is not running.

Walt Conner

·
Banned
2 Posts
if it was pouring gas out the top of carb the float got stuck or it got some crap in the fuel sys and it got under the needle and seat ..Is it still doing this now

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not doing it now / cranks and cuts fine / you are probably right since I pulled float to check it
just strange that this happened when I was mowing

thanks for the reply

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,269 Posts
Don't forget the in line gas shut off valve. There are lots of engines ruined by the "once in a blue moon" leaking carb float needle causing oil contamination.

Walt Conner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts