My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right,

No one showed any interest in the topic of gas cans in my last post. To me, it is an important part of your supplies. I looked all over the web and there are lots of cans out their, but most of the good ones are pretty pricey, like $40.00 on up (Justrite or Eagle). I just couldn't see that for a gas can. I also thought it might be neat to get an old can, but all of the serviceable ones on Ebay people were asking ridiculous prices because they were sold as collectables.

I really don't like all of the cheap plastic ones that all seem to come with some sort of "shut-off thingy" and that's about all that is available here at Home Depot, or local hardeare stores. I kept searching and finally found a pretty good deal on a couple of Type I Justrite cans on Ebay. I learned that the Type I cans have a spring loaded top and no spout or funnel. Funnels can be purchased, and I did, but I would not recommend them as they fit poorly, probably spill. The Type II cans come with a metal spout and generally have two openings, one for filling and one for emptying; and they are expensive. Maybe some, most of you all already know all this stuff about Type I, Type II, but I didn't.

With the two gallon Type I cans I got, for about $25.00 each (with shipping), they are small enough that they should be easy to handle with a separate funnel. I put the extra Lawnboy decals I had from the 8401 project on them. See Pic. Also, I mentioned to the shop that makes my decals about the copywrite stuff. He said that if their isn't any trade mark on the decal, or it's not something obvious, like a Harley Davidson decal, he doesn't have a problem with it. Now that I made him aware of the issue, I hope he doesn't reneg on me.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Nice gas can. I have a few plastic cans with the older style good top for the regular use. I also have a metal eagle can that has the lawn boy logo on it. I also have a couple 5 gallon eagle type 1 cans for strait gas.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
This is good info...i will look into these cans so I can dedicate all of my terribly hard to use plastic gas contraptions to target practice (empty of course).

·
4,221 Posts
I have 8 5.5 gal red high flow race cans that are plastic with a flex tub for easy filling. These are from my past life using Avgas and cam2 but now four hold diesel ( yellow stripe painted on) two have straight gas and one has pre mix for any two stroke equipment. The extra one sits and is used when the power goes out.

I do like the metal can but you should try one of these at some point.

http://jazproducts.com/utility_jugs.html

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is good info...i will look into these cans so I can dedicate all of my terribly hard to use plastic gas contraptions to target practice (empty of course).
Hi GTP,

I'd go with a Type II if I weren't so frugal (cheap), but the Type I in a smaller size seems like it will work fine.

Nice gas can. I have a few plastic cans with the older style good top for the regular use. I also have a metal eagle can that has the lawn boy logo on it. I also have a couple 5 gallon eagle type 1 cans for strait gas.
imaLawnBoyFreak,

It would be cool to have an original Lawnboy can, but the only one I saw was not in that good of shape and they wanted $50.00. Too steep for me.

I do like the metal can but you should try one of these at some point.

http://jazproducts.com/utility_jugs.html
Mayor,

Thanks for the info. Those look pretty good. It lists a spout. Do you know if the spout would work well for filling stuff like lawnmowers?

Regards,

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
i do have a lawnboy fuel can but its so faded and scratched up i use it for used motor oil on the farm.i also got a eagle can and the rest are plastic.... slowly being replaced by metal cans.

·
4,221 Posts
Hi GTP,

Mayor,

Thanks for the info. Those look pretty good. It lists a spout. Do you know if the spout would work well for filling stuff like lawnmowers?

Regards,
The filling tubs is clear flex PVC from any hardware store. It last about 5 years then becomes hard and has to be replaced. It can be cut to any size. On the end I have brass male hose fittings that excepts a cap.

When full the cans are heavy and if the hose is not the right size I could see issues with small equipment.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I really don't like all of the cheap plastic ones that all seem to come with some sort of "shut-off thingy" and that's about all that is available here at Home Depot, or local hardeare stores.
I feel the same way about most of the newer style cans. I have several containers of different types:
  1. Blitz "Enviro-Flow" cans in 1 gallon and 2 1/2 gallon sizes - OK overall. Work reasonably well.
  2. Older Pre-shutoff valve era Rubbermaid containers - I have a 3 of these, 5 gallon, 1 1/2 gallon and 1 gallon. I mostly only use the 5 gallon for bulk storage now. The 1 gallon design is pretty ridiculous and makes it almost impossible to not spill fuel when using it.
  3. No-Spill 2 1/2 gallon container. This is my favorite container that I own. It has a built in shutoff valve, but it is easy to control, the flow rate is acceptable, and it really does limit spills. They have a website that shows some video of the cans in use: http://www.nospill.com I bought mine at a local small engine shop about 5 years ago. I used to spill fuel every time I tried to refill my John Deere L111 with the under-seat fuel fill location. I got this No-spill can specifically to use on the L111, but I like using it better than any other can I have. The gas fumes are contained well with this can also. I have carried it in the back of our mini-van before without it causing the entire passenger area to smell like gasoline fumes. Many of my other cans seem to vent gasoline fumes much more than the No-spill.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cant go wrong with the Eagle or Justrite Type I or II cans. Yes more money, but built to last a lifetime like quality ones from yesteryear. Anyone who's struggled and become annoyed with plastic containers and their flimsy, complicated, inconvenient spigotware (seems you need 3 or 4 hands to hold, tilt and operate them) will appreciate these metal cans.

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
I am sure product liability insurance has a lot to do with the price of gas cans. It cant cost THAT much to make a blow molded plastic jug. Plastic jugs are not OSHA compliant, where most steel ones are. Try working a a job controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers. A compliant can will cost you at least $70-80. Get caught with any other and not only do they remove the can from the job, they remove YOU. The Eagle and Justrite metal cans are the way to go I think. Plastic ones get sun faded, brittle, cracked, and just plain hard to use without leaking fuel. And here in California i don't think you can find one with a vent, which makes it slower than a turtle pour out.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
As for the lawn boy metal cans, I actually got one off ebay a couple months back for about $35 I think. It's in pretty nice shape overall. Don't really plan on using it, just a shelf peice. The spout on the model of can I got is a joke... plastic, angled, not flexable, no cap... I can see that pouring out of this can would require a funnel and a steady hand to keep from spilling!

For my LB 2 strike mix now I also use one of the standard Blitz 2.5 gallon cans. For filling push mowers the flow rate is fine, slow, but fine. Here's a tip, take a small drill bit, the smaller the better (within reason, lol) and drill a hole in the top of the can, near the back of the handle. This will allow the can to breathe so it doesn't swell up like a tick in the heat or implode when it gets cold out! I do this on ALL non vented plastic cans.

I also have several of the no-spill cans, 3 5 gallon and 1 2.5. The 2.5 I love for my 2 cycle mix for filling trimmers, edgers, blowers. the shut-off is nice and it really is easy to use. The 5 gallon no-spills I didn't have such good luck with. The pour as slow as molasses, especially with the spout extentions that no-spill sells for them and claim they don't effect the flow rate, BS! I've also vented these cans by using tire valve stems (metal ones I've drilled a hole for and threaded in). They pour MUCH faster, like 10 times faster, literally, but unfortunately the venting makes the spout leak fuel out around the button on the back profusely.

I decided to bite the bullet and bought 3 of the justrite 5 gallon "UNO" cans. I thought for sure these would be the answer. Well... Even with the large spouts they also pour **** slow. How long do you want to stand there holding a 5 gallon can waiting for it to dribble into the tank you are trying to fill? when you are emptying the whole thing it can be several minutes... The metal spouts on mine also leak, the fuel just runs through the seams of the flex spout now. It just follows the spout and falls off the end into the tank, but be sure the spout isn't covered in dirt and grass because it's going to wash that debris off and deposit into your fuel tank.

Point is, I've never found a perfect gas can since the EPA came in... The perfect can was the old Rubbermaid/gott/briggs & stratton branded cans. Vented, large spout,could dump 5 gallons in under a minute, actually held 5.5 gallons easily... Yes, I need to switch to racing fuel jugs myself, but I've got so much $$$ in no-spill and metal justrite cans I can't justify buying MORE gas cans!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Being limited to two hands, I have a hard time with the new cans. I do have a couple of old style cans/lids that let me pour fuel without contortions but I know they have a limited life cycle. I try to keep my cans out of the sun. But, I do want some of the metal cans. One 2 gal. eagle was given to me recently because the rubber vent button is gone. Is there an outlet for replacement parts? I also know where there are maybe 20 of these cans but hadn't realized how valuable they are. I'll start looking for these more.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I use 3 different cans for my mixed fuel.

My 50:1 can (Stihl/Suzuki) is an older plastic Rubbermaid 1 gallon with a vent.

My 32:1 (1972-2004 LB's) is a 2-1/2 Gal. Blitz plastic can with a vent.

My 16:1 (1971 and prior LB) is an antique metal 1 gallon can. Not sure about the brand, but it's red and yellow and all beat up. Looks like an old paint thinner can with a spout and pop-open vent. It fits in well with my old LB's.

I hate the new ventless cans. I keep one at the house for my truck (Diesel) and it sucks. I have to remove the spout entirely and use a funnel to get the fuel into the filler necks of the truck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've had good luck finding some 2ish gallon steel Eagle gas cans at yard sales.

My LB can is painted green to keep the rest of the family from straight gassing my LB fleet.

I've got an orange can with gas for the Stihls and Red can for the Wheelhorse and Troybilt Horse tiller.

Bill

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have one of those enviro-flo cans, and i actually like it for smaller equipment. Small tanks fill fast enough, but for things like my sleds with 6-8gallon capacities it's a bit slow. They are good for preventing spills though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts