My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was doing some research on medium sized tractors (and Dad happens to have 3 WD's) and noticed that in the later years after AC bought Buda they offered the Diesel Buda 230 as an option. From everything that I've read the Gas and Diesel engines share 90% of the same components (block is my primary concern here) so I am wondering if anybody knows how hard it is to convert a gas 4 cylinder to a diesel 6cylinder.

Why?
As I said Dad has 3 of these
1. WD narrow front gas (his working tractor)
2. WD45 wide front (stuck motor)
3. WD (or WD45 not sure right now) with NO motor

The neighbor has 2 running Buda motors for $150/each (Gleaner Combines). I want one for a backup for my CoOp E4 but the other.. well, I either don't buy it (not really an option when I want to keep around my old equipment) or I buy it and store it (boring) or I buy it and see if I can get one of the 'parts' WDs running again.

Thoughts?
-ron
I always thought the WD 45 diesel frame was 2 inches longer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've read everything from 0 change, 1/2", an inch, and now you saying 2". I don't know for certain.
I was afraid to say anything because it has been over 40 years. Neighbor had a WD 45 diesel and we had a WD. Neighbor is gone , but his son and I are sure the diesel had a frame 2' longer. This would explain the hood difference. We are sure the fuel tank was the same on both tractors.
The diesel was smooth and snappy, even back in the old days it loved the fuel. It pulled 4 bottom plow easy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been looking at the pictures of the diesel; yes I see what you say about the hood. Really an interesting project. I can't find any left around here to compare, but I sure wish good luck to the switch to diesel. I knew the old mechanics, but they are gone.
Shame all that information has left with them. I think I know where one is left about 4 hours south of me. I will pick his brain next time we make contact. Good luck and keep us informed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.