My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a model 138f693g118. It has a bad engine and I'm trying to put the new 18hp B&S on there but I've run into a snag taking the old one off. I cannot get the pulleys/sleeve off of the old engine's shaft and so I can't get the old engine off of the chassis. I don't want to damage the old pulleys because I don't think it would be easy to replace. It has been soaked with WD40 for the last week and still nothing. I tried a gear puller yesterday and nothing. The bottom shaft bolt is out and I didn't see anything else securing the pulley sleeve onto the shaft so what do I do now? All help appreciated!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
You might need a good 3 point comercial puller. I am not sure what type you tried. You can break the pullies. I would put a nice 1/8 inch or thicker plate on the pulley where each jaw of the pulle meets the pully. This way you will not damage the pully. This way you spread out the pressure on the back of the pully. If you can get a small pipe wrench on the old shaft that might help keep it from turning. Sometimes they are really on there. you will need a big wrench on the puller. A 10 or 12 inch adjustable or regular wrench will not give you enough torque. You will need at least an 18 inch adjustable or greater. I have a 24 inch ajustable wrench and I could not get a nut off a trailer ball last month. I had to but the hitch back in the truck to hold it and put my foot on the bumper and pull with all I had and I am 6-1 and 270 pound construction worker and farm boy. I broke her loose but it took all I had too do it. Give it another go with a bigger wrench. You can put a pipe on a wrench but you might spread the jaws. If you do that find a Craftsman wrench. They will take anything back. For every foot o handle you double the torque of the previous lenth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts