My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a difference in choosing a John Deere tractor through models which varies mainly in size and features by model number.

Sticking to just the tractor without figuring in all the bells and whistles like 4 wheel drive/4 wheel steering/mower deck sizes,
or SE models, when do you feel a John Deere tractor goes from a Garden Tractor to a Tractor
?

One example I would guess is be going from 300 or 500 series to a 700 series and up.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
It would be CUT's for me the rest are basically lawn mowers that can do more work. slkpk

·
'11 1026R
360 Posts
Interesting, I consider a SCUT to be a lawn tractor, just with more options. The small tires are what does it for me. For example D100=1026R

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
Well You could say Cut But Just want to show a example When Wheel horse first started shipping there Product overseas Farmers where using the Wheel horse in Spain as a regular Farm tractor and Kept Breaking the front axles so Mr. Pond did a simple redesign By flipping the axle upside down. It really Depends on where in the world the Garden tractor will be used weather it considered a Farm tractor Or Not So For another example the Deere X700 series Maybe considered a Farm tractor Depending on where in the world It is Used. The Older 425 through 455 was marketed as a Small Farm Tractor/Coffee Plantation tractor in Kenya Today they even Market the X700 series on the African continent as a small Farm Tractor to run water Pump’s, & cultivation for orchards Because It can do Just about everything a full size Tractor can Do But on a smaller scale Because Most Farms Outside of North American and south America are Not as Large as we Have on those two continents average Farm in Indonesia or Japan is 4 Hectares or about 16 acres :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Depends on who you are, where you live and what you do with it. For example; I have a brother who farms over 3,000. To him my X748 is just a mower. Likewise, I call my Chevy 3500 HD 1 ton dually a “truck.” To him it is just another pickup.

I live on ¾ acres in a country subdivision. To me my X748 is tractor. To all my suburban neighbors it is the biggest “tractor” in the neighborhood!

I guess my X was a mower when I bought it, but after adding the 3-point hitch, rear PTO, FEL, 48in tiller, 48” box blade, HeavyHitch, etc. etc, it became a tractor. I haven’t attached the mower deck to it in over a year. I mow with my self-propelled walk behind 21’ Honda mower.

Bottom line -- real framers will always see my X748 as nothing more than a mower. But city boy gardeners love my “tractor,” and so do I. :fing32:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Depends on who you are, where you live and what you do with it. For example; I have a brother who farms over 3,000. To him my X748 is just a mower. Likewise, I call my Chevy 3500 HD 1 ton dually a “truck.” To him it is just another pickup.

I live on ¾ acres in a country subdivision. To me my X748 is tractor. To all my suburban neighbors it is the biggest “tractor” in the neighborhood!

I guess my X was a mower when I bought it, but after adding the 3-point hitch, rear PTO, FEL, 48in tiller, 48” box blade, HeavyHitch, etc. etc, it became a tractor. I haven’t attached the mower deck to it in over a year. I mow with my self-propelled walk behind 21’ Honda mower.

Bottom line -- real framers will always see my X748 as nothing more than a mower. But city boy gardeners love my “tractor,” and so do I. :fing32:
Very true I live in farm country and large farm equip. of all brand's are all around me. I grew up on a 4000 & 3020 so to me lawn & garden tractor is a good definition you can mow your lawn and do many other chore's around the house but that is as far as it goes. BILL

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
Bottom line -- real framers will always see my X748 as nothing more than a mower.
Depending on the country the Farmers in around the USA it a Mower Heck Framers around Me consider The Deere 3000 series Cuts as Lawn Mowers:thThumbsU

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
I'd say 4 wheels and a mower deck makes it a tractor, but then there is this neighbor of mine that has a RER. :banghead3

I'm not sure that there is a right/wrong answer to this one as long as it's a Deere...

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts

That's my thought too. :)

I'm not sure that there is a right/wrong answer to this one as long as it's a Deere...
I agree :thThumbsU

·
Registered
828 Posts
Every John Deere I have owned or used, I have "called" a tractor. This includes my 155C. I really liked that lawn "tractor" and have said many times in other posts the 100 series surprised me. I'll be one of the few to stand up for this series when others start to bash but that is another story. In reality the 100 series in my humble opinion is far from a tractor. My belief is if it can take a three point hitch, have a rear pto, and is diesel powered...it qaulifies as a "real tractor".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts