My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one here into it? I when to a pull was pretty fun to watch.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
I went to one a couple of months ago, a lot of fun. Most evryone was using either Sears or Cub Cadet GT's from the '70s, and there were a couple of "rail" pullers, using motorcycle engines. It's got me looking for an old JD with a gear tranny to make my own puller. There was a really nice old JD 110 fixed up as a puller.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
yea, i just built a puller its a sears 1977 sears 14/6 i have carlisle super lug tires with wheel weights(still looking for more weight) i have a tecumseh hh140 that is .020 over and i port polished the head and port matched intake manifold. shes a pretty strong runner so far but i have about a month till my first pull so..

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The older tractor with a gear tranny? are those shaft driven?

·
Registered
678 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Thanks, are those getting hard to find? I hope you guys don't mind the questions :hide: :thanku:
No, there are loads of sites that cater only to older, and newer Cubs. New and used parts can still be found. Of course, there are other tractors that can be used for pulling but the older Cubs (1960ish to 1981) were built like tanks, and the gear drives (non-hydro) are coveted by pullers. Now mind you, in the modifed classes of pulling garden tractors, they hardly resemble anything that came off the production line. Some of these guys are spending tens of thousands of dollars to compete. They're turning high rpm's and burning jet fuel, alcohol etc, on tractors that put out gobs of horsepower relative to a stock Kohler.

I gotta warn you, you start snooping around these pulling sites and you will get hooked. B-e-e-e-w-a-a-a-r-r-e....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, there are loads of sites that cater only to older, and newer Cubs. New and used parts can still be found. Of course, there are other tractors that can be used for pulling but the older Cubs (1960ish to 1981) were built like tanks, and the gear drives (non-hydro) are coveted by pullers. Now mind you, in the modifed classes of pulling garden tractors, they hardly resemble anything that came off the production line. Some of these guys are spending tens of thousands of dollars to compete. They're turning high rpm's and burning jet fuel, alcohol etc, on tractors that put out gobs of horsepower relative to a stock Kohler.

I gotta warn you, you start snooping around these pulling sites and you will get hooked. B-e-e-e-w-a-a-a-r-r-e....
Thanks

So the main thing is a older cub with shaft drive and a car type rear end?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what would one expect to pay for one of these old cubs?

·
Registered
140 Posts
My Cub 100 does great when pulling

·
Silent, Senior MTF Member
871 Posts
I've got a project on the back-burner right now. It's a Wheel Horse 552. Here's a old pic of it "mocked up". I've got everything I need except some sort of foot throttle.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Here is what my little boy pulls with. Its a old Murray. He pulls it in the 600 lb and 700 lb class. I also have a JD 110 that the engine is out of right now that we pull and a old Sears Suburban. I would like to break over into the big classes and put some hp to the ground but funds won't let me so we stay in the stock classes. Of course we aren't spinning the wheels out the gate and tearing down the track in a blaze of glory but we still have fun slow pulling.

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,455 Posts
OH boy....Watch it if you get into tractor pulling...I started collecting the sears suburban tractors and then started pulling them...Got to the point we maxed out their potential...I couldnt put any more power through the drive line, Id broke everything on them(tranny drive belts)The big block 60 cubic in onan did the last sears in...I broke the belt and gave up with them, I switched to a cub frame( for alot more price I can hold the HP)...in a fairly low(16hp) and under you cant beat the durability and cheapness of a sears...Theirs a few mods that need done(trade secret!! :}) I can tell all but the tranny mods! But I still love my sears..My uncles got a 90hp twin cylinder 44cubic in, and it runs alcohol, cranks 10,000rpms plus...REALLLLLLY nice runs in the 20mph range, but cost $10,000....I think now between the family we got like 24 pullers?? and constanly building a better one or so we think...

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
we get to pull at out 4h fair and some local fairs. last year was my first year, and it was really fun. i had a cheap-o craftsman, but this year i have a '67 sears, so itll be a little more fun.

one of my favorite parts of the pull was seeing the other guys' tractors. we had a wheel horse, a deere, 2 bolens, a cub 127, and an ariens.

theyre always fun

·
Registered
248 Posts
My kids '72 model SS for the 2010 season in Youth Stock -

If he likes it alright, I'll start on mine :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts