My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Does anybody know of any garden tractor junkyards in Ontario. I have replied to several Kijiji ads that "will buy your junk mower" but never find any of size or any with LGT Fords. Even auto wreckers with some GTs would be good. Even GT repair shops with a backyard collection you drive by would be of interest.

If we could start compiling a listing, it would be great for all.

:thanku:

·
22,338 Posts
Try this. There are a few.

http://adeptr.com/agyards.htm

I got my 3 FELs from a lawn and garden shop with a small repair shop attached in Grande Blanc, MI, but that was 35 years ago. Diligent searching of the Yellow Pages under the various headings applying to lawn and garden, small engines, and outdoor power equipment may produce some alternative sources.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob That's a start. I'm only an hour from the U.S. border here in Milton, but have never dealt with customs or tried to bring anything large or used across. Just no knowledge or experience at it. Hopefully there are some stashed away on this side. Thanks for contributing.

ps. used to get up your way quite a bit. Serviced equipment in St. Marys Paper and stayed at the Water Tower. Retired now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a small garden tractor from Grand Rapids MI, no problem at the border. Lawn equipment has no duty or taxes on it.

You should have no problem at the border. I just showed them the eBay ad and the sale receipt and it was fine.

·
22,338 Posts
Thanks Bob That's a start. I'm only an hour from the U.S. border here in Milton, but have never dealt with customs or tried to bring anything large or used across. Just no knowledge or experience at it. Hopefully there are some stashed away on this side. Thanks for contributing.

ps. used to get up your way quite a bit. Serviced equipment in St. Marys Paper and stayed at the Water Tower. Retired now.
Crossborder shopping is a way of life around here. Be prepared to pay the HST on anything you bring back and you should be cool. All but one of my list of tractors came from the other side, 2 brand new and 4 used.

Through experience, I have learned that the Customs Officer will sometimes phrase his questions for a specific response. An honest answer may cost a few bucks at the border, or save you a bunch of bucks, depending on exactly how you answer and the officer's frame of mind at the time. (We're all human!)

The Water Tower is still there, but St. Marys is being razed for a condo development. I worked at the steel mill and have been retired for 11 years.

·
Registered
98 Posts
check out legaces tall oaks in bothwell i believe he is exactly what your looking for. good prices and a huge inventory.

Sent from the MTFFree App

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Adam
I googled Legaces and got three separate listings. They show address but not a
word about what they do or sell. Wouldn't have a website would you ? Thanks

cwh060 Hello
and thanks for the reassurances. I may start checking Craigslist south of the border.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Tudor
I used to do the compressors in Algoma and in Tubes as well from about 1999-2009.Retired now as well. Please tell me they did not tear down those beautiful Hudson's Bay Trading Post buildings at st. Mary's. That would be an absolute crime. Even that tree that was growing up thru the sidewalk at the guardhouse was around long before we were even Canada.

·
Registered
98 Posts
here is some more info and specifics on lagaces tall oaks-
15018 Longwoods Rd
Bothwell, ON N0P 1C0
(519) 695-6229
They have no website and are a fairly small and low tech business however they more then make up for that in inventory and customer service. it is a garden tractor junk yard and only a garden tractor junk yard. the owner is very knowledgeable and is often very helpful with mechanical questions too. i also know that he is connected with many local lawn and garden dealerships so whenever someone trades there non running mower for a new one the old non runner goes straight to legaces.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Adam
Are you nearby or a long ways off like me? I wonder if they even have an email address?
That would sure boost their business. Check out "junkyard in PA" post. When you read on, I think our members alone run him off his feet. Maybe someone else will read this and have a connection to him.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i live near arkona (about halfway between london and sarnia). not sure about the email address. i believe i saw a computer on his checkout counter so i imagine if he doesnt have one his wife probably does. he has pretty extensive inventory and doesnt take him long to find stuff. in my past experiences i have called with requests for fairly rare/sought after parts and he always either said he had them right on the phone and gave me a price or phoned back within 30 minutes (the only exception being when there was 3 feet of snow lol). im sure it the email and website would increase his business a lot but from what i have seen even his word of mouth customers keep him fairly busy.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will definitely have to keep this one in mind. Your input is greatly appreciated as it appears to be the best lead so far. Does he let you walk around the yard and maybe find a complete project tractor or just sell pieces over the counter?

·
Registered
98 Posts
he would probably let you walk around his yard (not positive though) however i know he is very particular about not selling whole tractors (believe me i have asked lol).

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know. Any estimate on the number of LTs he has? 100, 500, an acre, more?

·
MTF Poster
244 Posts
Hi Adam
I googled Legaces and got three separate listings. They show address but not a
word about what they do or sell. Wouldn't have a website would you ? Thanks

cwh060 Hello
and thanks for the reassurances. I may start checking Craigslist south of the border.
Hi Larry,

Sure , give CL a whirl, I always comb it daily - ya never know what you will find.

I'm like you in this , looking for parts...really would like to score a parts tractor either a 145 0r 165 for the hydraulics alone.

And the hunt continues.....

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Jack

Ya, always looking. Almost nothing on Craigs list here. I think it gets used mostly for hook ups. Kijiji is the big listing here. A nice 145 with a blower came up tonight. Shiny fresh paint, but no better looking than yours $1300. I don't know how to do links, but if I had your email address I could forward it to you. (that I can do)

No mowing yet. Still way too wet and I've got the seat pan off to work on the steering

·
22,338 Posts
Hi Tudor
I used to do the compressors in Algoma and in Tubes as well from about 1999-2009.Retired now as well. Please tell me they did not tear down those beautiful Hudson's Bay Trading Post buildings at st. Mary's. That would be an absolute crime. Even that tree that was growing up thru the sidewalk at the guardhouse was around long before we were even Canada.
I don't know about any of the buildings except the blockhouse. That's the one with the stone walls around the lower floor and the log structure above.

It was disassembled one stone at a time, with each stone getting a number and it's location mapped out. It was reassembled beside the Old Stone House to add to the display. The log structure was moved on wheels to the new location and placed carefully back on the top of the rebuilt walls.

There's a thumbnail pic of both buildings in this link, and a slightly better pic in one of the links at the bottom of the article.

It's right across the street from this.

Did you know that a section of the oldest lock system in Canada is also on the St. Marys property? It's still there and is a National Heritage Site.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Guys
Got a good lead on another GT wrecking yard in Ontario.

LYLE'S SMALL ENGINES IN MERRICKVILLE, ONT. 613-269-4997

He has 4 early opensided Ford LGTs, (but no grills)

Pics he posted(on Kijiji) show two long isles of all different brands.

If you call, tell him you saw it on MTF as I'm trying to get him to post on the Forum.

Thanks.

·
MTF Poster
244 Posts

OK Larry, take it away! All yours :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts