21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Wow, What would cause that?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hmmmm, something is missing. And some shrapnel from the blown B&S off my Craftsman project. Guy said he hit a rock and I thought 'suuurrrrrre'. But I couldn't pass it up.

Attachments

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
I had a friend ask me to look at why his tractor would not start. I went to take a look. When I cranked the engine over it sounded like it had no compression. So I took out the spark plug and put my thumb over the hole. No compression. My first thought was a valve hung up or the seat popped up so I took the head off. To my surprise both valves looked good and the piston was still moving. But when I turned over the engine the valves did not move. So I told my friend that he broke the camshaft. I removed the oil pan to show him what happened. Second supprise... Everything looked great inside. I said how can this be. Everything bottom side was in great shape. Everything top side was in great shape. But the valves was not moving. It took me a while to find the problem. Someone bored the engine and had it re-sleeved. The cylinder wall snapped off and moved up the sleeve the valves was not touching the cam shaft. The cylinder just slid up the sleeve and was still hooked fast to the engine. you could see a gap in between the colling fins after you removed the fin covers. The cylinder wall was still attached but just moved up.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts