My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled with my garden tractor and the first hook I pulled in 1st gear and had enough power but lost tire traction which I was glad about because everyone there said I’d never make it with an 8hp engine, pulled 92 feet. So the next hook I tried 2nd gear and made it a little farther about 105 feet but when the weight on the sled reached a certain point, tires stopped moving and tractor stopped dead in its tracks. I have reason to believe my clutch plates are slipping on the drive shaft. I had this issue during a practice pull and tightened the clutch spring to almost nothing between the spring when engaged to ensure enough tension. Is there anything I can add or do to get my traction on the clutch faces? Any help would be great!

It’s a bolens 853 model

·
Registered
872 Posts
As I recall the 853 has large & small clutch discs, I never did any "pulling" but back in the day those clutches never slipped. Could you put stronger spring on the drive shaft ? My two cents

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I recall the 853 has large & small clutch discs, I never did any "pulling" but back in the day those clutches never slipped. Could you put stronger spring on the drive shaft ? My two cents
I was told that by another puller and tractor enuthsiest. I thought of just putting washers in line with it to push it more forward but I have the spring nearly smashed as it is. I may have to find the stiffer spring but the pulling seasons almost over this year, gives me time to locate one. Thanks for your input!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts