My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a set of 8' aluminum ramps that I have loaded my 140's into the back of my truck many times. When I went and picked up the 332 a couple of years ago, I knew I had to take the deck off first before I loaded it. It was OK, but the ramps were at their max load with it. When I went and picked up the 455, I knew I would need to do something different. Lowes was having a sale on their trailers, so I went and bought a 5 X 8 with a GVW of 1985 lbs. With our state law, anything under 2000 lbs doesn't need licensed and no property tax. So with my military discount, I walked out with paying just under $550 for it. It been real handy other than hauling tractors around.
I got my 5x8 from TSC for pretty cheap (with a loading gate). It was the generic metal frame trailer. Added some pressure treated 5/4 decking, and it's been great for my 455!

·
Registered
226 Posts
My little trailer was $200.

I did some work on it to get the lights working again, etc. Last year the lights were working. This spring, nothing :) So I got a set of magnetic lights at Harbor Freight for $20-25, they're awesome, I just stuck them to the mounts that the existing light mount underneath. I zip-tied the wires under the trailer, but if I hadn't done that, I could have technically just popped the lights off, and brought them inside when done.

I don't know about other states, but I didn't have to insure my trailer. I think it costs me $20/year for registration. But that varies with capacity, I think it's $20/year up to 1,000 lb capacity, then $20/yr per 1,000 pounds beyond that. So an 8,000 lb boat trailer would be somewhat expensive per year, but light-capacity utility trailers are cheaper.

Every situation is different, of course, I'm not trying to say this is the "right" way. But for me, the cost is worth it. It doesn't costs me $30 every time I bring a load of stuff to/from the brush dump, and I also have the ability to jump on Craigslist deals quickly.
This is my 5000 pound GVW dump trailer. I don't have to carry insurance on it, it is covered by the tow vehicle, but, for $20 a year it has 100% replacement coverage. I told the girl I parked it in the woods so it was out of sight and out of mind of the family. She laughed and said if a tree fell on it and crushed it, it would be replaced with the same model if they still make it, or the closest thing. It's 15 years old and never had a problem. I milled the live edge side boards and set the height so the trailer filled to the top is exactly one cord of wood. You can see the ramp sticking up in the back. The ramp will pivot from the bottom to use as a ramp. Or, pivot from the middle to spread gravel, it has chain to keep the gate from swinging out to far and dumping a pile. With the chains set right it will spread gravel smooth as peanut butter. I have heavy 2500 pound ratchet straps cut to length for all of the equipment I put on it, so I don't have 20 foot tails to deal with. Lots of tie downs, including a couple on the floor. It has brakes,diamond plate steps, 6 lug wheels and a 2 5/16 ball. Obviously it's more trailer than most people need, BUUUT, no one that has ever borrowed it has complained. Anyone in the Baltimore, DC area that needs to move something let me know. As far as to what it will carry? My BIL's Kubota BX fits easy. My Nortrack 204C is 2700 pounds with out implements and it fits easy, but the ramp won't quite close to where the pins drop in. I run a heavy ratchet strap through the lift handles and jack it tight against the wheels. The only draw back is it's only 62's wide, so a 54 inch deck is pretty much max width. Is it overkill? Nah, I live on a 1 1/3 acre lot and have a 42 HP Massey, the Nortrack 204 Loader, a JD 265 and X540. Do I have trouble hiding all this stuff from the wife to keep peace, YES. I also have a 5 wheel Gator, 50+ chainsaws, and a 68 Cuda convertible.

Short story long, get a cheap trailer. The nice $900 TSC trailers go for half price in very good condition. We have a local Farm and Equipment auction twice a year and they might have 10-15 trailers in good shape, may need a $25 wiring kit, that sell for 1-200 bucks.

2,654 Posts
This is my 5000 pound GVW dump trailer. I don't have to carry insurance on it, it is covered by the tow vehicle, but, for $20 a year it has 100% replacement coverage. I told the girl I parked it in the woods so it was out of sight and out of mind of the family. She laughed and said if a tree fell on it and crushed it, it would be replaced with the same model if they still make it, or the closest thing. It's 15 years old and never had a problem. I milled the live edge side boards and set the height so the trailer filled to the top is exactly one cord of wood. You can see the ramp sticking up in the back. The ramp will pivot from the bottom to use as a ramp. Or, pivot from the middle to spread gravel, it has chain to keep the gate from swinging out to far and dumping a pile. With the chains set right it will spread gravel smooth as peanut butter. I have heavy 2500 pound ratchet straps cut to length for all of the equipment I put on it, so I don't have 20 foot tails to deal with. Lots of tie downs, including a couple on the floor. It has brakes,diamond plate steps, 6 lug wheels and a 2 5/16 ball. Obviously it's more trailer than most people need, BUUUT, no one that has ever borrowed it has complained. Anyone in the Baltimore, DC area that needs to move something let me know. As far as to what it will carry? My BIL's Kubota BX fits easy. My Nortrack 204C is 2700 pounds with out implements and it fits easy, but the ramp won't quite close to where the pins drop in. I run a heavy ratchet strap through the lift handles and jack it tight against the wheels. The only draw back is it's only 62's wide, so a 54 inch deck is pretty much max width. Is it overkill? Nah, I live on a 1 1/3 acre lot and have a 42 HP Massey, the Nortrack 204 Loader, a JD 265 and X540. Do I have trouble hiding all this stuff from the wife to keep peace, YES. I also have a 5 wheel Gator, 50+ chainsaws, and a 68 Cuda convertible.

Short story long, get a cheap trailer. The nice $900 TSC trailers go for half price in very good condition. We have a local Farm and Equipment auction twice a year and they might have 10-15 trailers in good shape, may need a $25 wiring kit, that sell for 1-200 bucks.
What is the inside measurement of your dump trailer? You said 5 feet wide, I'm just curious what the length is to carry a BX tractor.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's 8'X5'. BX with loader fits easy, and the gate clooses as it should. That's with a 54" deck. I just put my Nortrac on with a 4' bush hog. Only going a couple miles. I'll post a pick so you can laugh and call me nuts. I do not shoot video's if doing questionable stuff, so you won't see me there!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just checked comparison with Kubota L 2301. Tractor Data had them as 23 HP and weighed 2400 to 2600, less implements. This is 20 HP and weighs 2700 less implements so it's pretty close to an L series bota.. Don't look on youtube for tractor fail, I didn't video it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
An 8 foot trailer can carry a BX with loader and a 3 point hitch? I thought you needed a longer trailer.
Nope, the BX with 3 point and loader fit easy and the gate closes. With the BX I usually back it on, close and latch the gate, then set the bucked down on the gate. I can't back the notrac on becasue the 3 point hits the front while the tires are still on the ramp, plus all of the engine weight is behind the axle.

BX with loader fits like a glove. If you want a pic I can run over my BIL's house tomorrow and take one. I can just pull on, close gate, take pic and back off, no straps for pic. A BX is only about 1200 pounds, about half of the NorTrac.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you want to know what the big wooden gantry is for, I hang a snatch block on it and pull 8' saw logs on. Can put a whole load of logs on the trailer in about 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Aren't those videos about a year apart? The scare in the first seems to have aged him quite a bit.

Reactions: MISparty

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Reading all of these "Experiences" reminds me of the guy on the single-engine plane bragging about a great deal he got on a second-hand parachute. You only have to fail once.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Heh, reminds me of "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you." :)
This is my 5000 pound GVW dump trailer.

Your trailer setup looks very cool, nice work! Is the snatch block using the truck and pulleys to "just" lift the logs? Or does it also pull them forward into the trailer? Just trying to better understand the setup.

Sadly, around here we don't have those sorts of options for good inexpensive used trailers. You might pay $300+ for something homemade with a lot of...... character.

·
Registered
371 Posts

I have a set of the TSC aluminum curved ramps. I have used them for my 214, 318, and 425. They have worked great over the years. They have straps that anchor them to the truck so they don’t slide off. I take the tailgate off because it’s fragile, load the tractor and then attach it once loaded.

The 425 with the tiller was a
Little too much for the ramps. They bent some of the curve out. Don’t think I would use them again for this combo. I also have a set of 2x10 ramps that are stronger but much heavier.

I have a 5x8 utility trailer that is just too short for the tractor and the tiller. I’m passively shopping for a 5x10 aluminum trailer as that would be sweet.

I also have a dual axle open car trailer and a 42’ enclosed trailer but I try to avoid using them because they are not stored at my house and add complication to the adventure.

Long story short, a full size truck and aluminum ramps will work great to move most GT/LT’s. Large GT’s with implements need more. The comments about using a hill, ditch or curb to help load are great suggestions that I use regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Heh, reminds me of "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you." :)

Your trailer setup looks very cool, nice work! Is the snatch block using the truck and pulleys to "just" lift the logs? Or does it also pull them forward into the trailer? Just trying to better understand the setup.

Sadly, around here we don't have those sorts of options for good inexpensive used trailers. You might pay $300+ for something homemade with a lot of...... character.
This trailer was $3500 new and way heavier built than the EZDumper and Brimar. It’s 15 years old, and just a few weeks ago the plastic reservoir on the pump cracked. Other than new tires that’s all that has gone bad. The cheap auction trailers are not this caliber, but are perfectly suited for hauling one or two tractors at a time. I recently checked and this model is still for sale and had gone up to $3999. But, after Covid hit they were back to $3500.

With the gantry and snatch block, I unhook the trailer, chock the tires and pull up with the truck. With the gantry being so high, all of the weight is hanging straight down, so it doesn’t even try to pull the trailer forward. I pull the log up till it almost touches the cross bar, that leaves the butt end of the log dug into the ground. Then I back up slowly and the log lowers forward. My buddy flips the rope out of the snatch block and I pull it up tight to the front, works well.

This gantry was my second try, it’s 4X6 pressure treated and works well, but, when I built it my fuel mileage was 20-21 MPG with no trailer, with trailer and walk behind, or X540, it dropped to 14-16 MPG. With just the empty trailer and gantry it’s 12 MPG. I want to build it out of 4X4 box tubing that will break down. You have to pay attention to where you are.

To be more clear, I skid the logs out of the woods with a TSC boom and log tines on the NorTrac, drop them be hind the trailer, before I drop the log, my buddy flips a choker around the log. When it hits the ground the tongs pop right off. I only have to pull the log a few feet. But, the rope I use to skid is 3/4”, 17,000 pound test, and I have two of them 150 feet. I can stage sets of blocks winding through the wood. Pull it a ways to clear an obstacle, pop it out of the snatch block, change directions pull, change direction, then pull it up on the trailer. It works well but is hard on my helper. He has to run along and open the blocks. Then has to drag the rope back in the woods as I back up. That way works, just a bit slower.

·
4,837 Posts
steddy....that kind of editing is not available to us....if you can't delete the picture let us know and a mod will do that until you can edit it and repost it

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
please can you edit this picture, maybe fuzz out faces?
Thnx
Below is Steddy's pic from post #56--2 above this one.
1DACC2FB-DD0D-451F-83CA-435761A4B80F~3.jpeg

41 - 60 of 108 Posts