My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Just did it. Went to TSC and bought a set of ramp hinges for around $30. They bolt to a pair of 2x12 boards which I had laying around. The bed on my truck is relatively low. It went well but I wouldn’t want to do it everyday.

2,654 Posts
Harbor Freight sells ramps less than $100.

Here's Tractor Supply hinges. I can't upload the image

Home Depot sells these for 19.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I'll have to second, or 3rd, the rental. I didn't know it was so cheap to rent a trailer or I'd have done that both times I hauled my GTs. My buddy said he just rented a U-haul folding ramp trailer for $20 for the day. I wouldn't haul my GT again in my truck bed to save $20.

Reactions: DL-North

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've driven a tractor up into a pickup once, I think. The deck got somewhat stuck. And even using the incline in our driveway to help level things out, it was still a nerve wracking experience. It feels really high in the air. I can't imagine spitting out a ramp and having it fall down while sitting on it!!

Heck, driving my new one up into my (short) trailer still made me nervous :)

I made wooden ramps, with aluminum pieces at each end (to sit on the lip of the trailer, and to give a smoother transition at the ground), they work pretty well. But it can be better, I want to look into something that can attach to the flat trailer, and maybe just flip down. The trailer tilts, so if I let it tilt, that brings the lip closer to the ground. The previous owner welded hinges onto the rear lip of the trailer. If I can find mating hinges, and a way to slip their pins in/out, I could have secure ramps that can't come loose from the trailer.

There's a lot to be said for just renting a trailer, vs buying, to be sure. But I don't have a truck, so mine has been very handy for a variety of tasks. It's nice knowing it's there whenever I need it. Doesn't matter if it's near the end of the month and Uhaul is busy with people who are moving, etc.

My biggest take-away from buying it is that I'm using it enough that I'll buy a better one next time :) I kept the budget small on this one as I wasn't sure how much it would be used.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Great ideas! I'm leaning toward using my existing steel ramps for this one trip of my old Craftsaman with 46 inch deck. I will fit in my truck bed with the tailgate down. If I have to haul the X500, that will be a) a rental trailer or b) purchase a used trailer.

Would be nice to have a trailer and save trips to and from rental places. Owned trailer could just pick up and go when ready. Then, there is license and insurance..... I'm getting a headache. I think I'll get some more coffee and consider some mowing time on the tractor.....

Thanks for all the thoughts, pretty interesting stuff!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yes, the owning vs renting dilemma. I thought about that for my CUT. The utility of having it on the property ready to go whenever I need it won out. But, it was expensive to buy and house. I have not regretted buying it.

Same thing with my big chipper. I did get a really good deal on a Vermeer BC625A from Sunbelt when they were cleaning out inventory after the financial meltdown over a decade ago. I don't use it that often, but do use it a few times a year. It is nice being able to say, it is a nice day to chip and be able to just do it.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
This is a bit off, but still on the subject. Anyway, there is a guy over on YouTube with his own channel that does woodworking and urban logging. He built his own large bandsaw mill and has fairly recently built his logging trailer from scratch. Kind of along the lines of what Tractor-Holic has said with his stuff. There are lots of ideas on his channel that perhaps others could use in transporting tractors.

2,654 Posts
I had some brush that needed be hauled to the dump. I don't own a pickup. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I called this one company up and they wanted $300 to haul everything away. I said forget it. I went to Home Depot and rented a dump trailer.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I've used them before to put a tractor in a pickup but never again. I had mowed with the tractor and the wheels were wet and when I started up the ramps one rear wheel started to spin and go sideways. I tipped over and the tractor and I fell to the ground. But for the grace of God, I am here to write this comment. NEVER again will I do something that stupid. Once the wheel started to spin I had no control over it. It only takes one time to be the last. Backing up to a slope would help but if your ramps are too short the power required to go up them is too much and the grip of the ramp/tires is all you have halfway up the ramp.

·
Super Moderator
15,896 Posts
I've used them before to put a tractor in a pickup but never again. I had mowed with the tractor and the wheels were wet and when I started up the ramps one rear wheel started to spin and go sideways. I tipped over and the tractor and I fell to the ground. But for the grace of God, I am here to write this comment. NEVER again will I do something that stupid. Once the wheel started to spin I had no control over it. It only takes one time to be the last. Backing up to a slope would help but if your ramps are too short the power required to go up them is too much and the grip of the ramp/tires is all you have halfway up the ramp.
I wasn't the one On the Ramps My friend was loading My 140H3 and it caught the ramps just right and down he and the Tractor went. There was a Old Loading dock at the dealership we could have used But he didn't want to. But that's the reason I Bought the Madd Ramps Don't have to worry about the Ramps ever Falling My Last house I had a elevated Parking area by My ditch and the Pick Up cleared it By 8inches That was as Far as You could fall if the Ramps slipped . Also Have a adjustable Height ramp that Northern Tool use to sell. It work But it Takes forever to adjust the height adjustable legs. But it perfect for Loading the Medium Garden tractors Probably would work with a X700 series if I had a 8 ft Box Pick up (y)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Would be nice to have a trailer and save trips to and from rental places. Owned trailer could just pick up and go when ready. Then, there is license and insurance..... I'm getting a headache. I think I'll get some more coffee and consider some mowing time on the tractor.....
My little trailer was $200.

I did some work on it to get the lights working again, etc. Last year the lights were working. This spring, nothing :) So I got a set of magnetic lights at Harbor Freight for $20-25, they're awesome, I just stuck them to the mounts that the existing light mount underneath. I zip-tied the wires under the trailer, but if I hadn't done that, I could have technically just popped the lights off, and brought them inside when done.

I don't know about other states, but I didn't have to insure my trailer. I think it costs me $20/year for registration. But that varies with capacity, I think it's $20/year up to 1,000 lb capacity, then $20/yr per 1,000 pounds beyond that. So an 8,000 lb boat trailer would be somewhat expensive per year, but light-capacity utility trailers are cheaper.

Every situation is different, of course, I'm not trying to say this is the "right" way. But for me, the cost is worth it. It doesn't costs me $30 every time I bring a load of stuff to/from the brush dump, and I also have the ability to jump on Craigslist deals quickly.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
By the way, those a very scary stories of tractors falling off ramps!! I'm very glad no one was hurt.

I just added some gritty adhesive traction tape to my car ramps (like for working under the car). Depending on the layout of the truck/trailer ramps, maybe strips of that could be added to the surface, as protection against tires slipping sideways. That's easier on something like my ramps, which are just wooden boards, so it's a long, flat surface. It might be tougher if the ramps have a lot of openings. But at least there are options available.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075455Z1F

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Geez those were both scary :) Even as he backed down the ramps in the second one. I kept worrying he was going to hit the brakes and flip over backwards.

I see they did what I had wondered about, it looked like there were ratchet straps from the ramps, down to the hitch, to help hold them down. If you could also put something between them, to ensure they couldn't slide towards each other, that would probably be even better, but that's admittedly more hassle.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Here's two exciting videos of using ramps by the same person.

From what I've heard about the L/D/E series, I'm guessing after those two "hill" attempts and slamming it into gear, the transmission is toast 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I have a set of 8' aluminum ramps that I have loaded my 140's into the back of my truck many times. When I went and picked up the 332 a couple of years ago, I knew I had to take the deck off first before I loaded it. It was OK, but the ramps were at their max load with it. When I went and picked up the 455, I knew I would need to do something different. Lowes was having a sale on their trailers, so I went and bought a 5 X 8 with a GVW of 1985 lbs. With our state law, anything under 2000 lbs doesn't need licensed and no property tax. So with my military discount, I walked out paying just under $550 for it. It been real handy other than hauling tractors around.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts