My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big of a garden does it take to justify the cost of buying a plow and cultivator for the Garden Tractor I bought last fall.
I have a small "kitchen & canning" garden that is worked by hand and small Front Tine Tiller.
If bought, I would probably help my daughter with her garden too.
Location is between slopes in S.E. Kentucky.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I have a 30' x 60' garden and justified to my C.F.O. the need for a plow and disc; somehow... she bought it hook, line, and sinker. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Well.......Let's see. I've got 3 rototillers, no, make that 4, a garden tractor with rototiller and a disc cultivator, plus 2 single mold boards. I ended up hand turning the garden over 3 times this spring. It's only 10 x 15, but I have so much stuff in there, most of it goes to the neighbors.

Many times, if you let the word out to the correct people, mold boards, discs and tillers seem to just show up at the back door over here instead of in the junk metal dumpster at the local town dump.

Same thing happens with lawn and garden tractors.

You buying 'new' or experienced?

·
Registered
278 Posts
How big of a garden does it take to justify the cost of buying a (whatever)
You're in the wrong place to ask that sort of question.

That said... most small gardeners are BETTER OFF to rent a big tiller for the day or two each year that they'll need and use it...
or to just hire the tilling out altogether.

This sort of "how often will I actually use it" or "what else can I do with it" is a good standard for most any purchase
including the stuff sold at kitchen gadget stores.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
You're in the wrong place to ask that sort of question.

That said... most small gardeners are BETTER OFF to rent a big tiller for the day or two each year that they'll need and use it...
or to just hire the tilling out altogether.

This sort of "how often will I actually use it" or "what else can I do with it" is a good standard for most any purchase
including the stuff sold at kitchen gadget stores.
Exactly. Don't limit yourself!

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
715 Posts
How big of a garden are you planning on building? If it's big enough that you'd end up saving a good bit of time with the new implements, then I would maybe go for it. You also need to look at storing the implements when not in use, do you have the space?

I was going to buy implements when I bought my tractor but didn't because my dealer recommended against it for the size garden that we were planning. Guess what happened this year?? I just finished building raised bed boxes for my wife. So no need for tiller or other implements.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Any garden I have I want to chisel plow it in the Spring,till it at least twice before I plant anything to kill the weeds back,then till before I plant the 2nd,3rd etc crops of the season,then till up the early planted things like squash and beans that only last part of the season to plant more.This goes on until frost when the tomatos,Okra,Green Peppers,green beans,blackeyes and the like are done for the season.Then till it all in and plant cover crops for the late fall and Winter.Try all that with with a shovel and hoe(LOL).I admit I could probably get by with less equipment as I have 7 tractors with tillers on them ready to go right now,then one I use to lay off rows and one with a Brinly planter on it etc etc but I will use them all by the end of the year.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Justify? I think that translates in some languages to want have to have please please please.:sidelaugh

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as renting, they charge $145/day here in VA for a walk-behind Rear Tine Tiller. I don't know what they would charge in KY or if there is a Machine Rental there. It's pretty rural, with the nearest store/gas station 20 miles away and "town" is another 5 miles.

"Justify" = To ease the impending Buyer's Remorse that I'm always plagued with after spending money on anything other than essentials. Especially toys/tools.
Plus, I want to help with the garden but I had 4 shoulder surgeries 3 years ago and don't want any more because I'm too old and don't want to be laid-up for 18 months again.

Seriously, I didn't NEED this CTX but I sure did want it once I had the bug.
You guys are psychic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Simply tuning in.

Considering a plow as my first ground-engaging attachment (and as much as I've been lusting for a Bercomac tiller). Per cost and effectiveness very likely my best choice. Weighing the options and costs for what I need right now. Good excuse to buy the sleeve hitch...

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
OK lots of good stuff here. Well my justification is simple. i'm single, in poor cardiac health, have a will, and a budget. So i just went and bought the stuff:thThumbsU

searched Cl, Ebay, and such to get most if it but most of my stuff i got on the cheap and some if it i got at Sears with 0% financing. :sidelaugh

seriously i got my GT6000 tractor, and most of the implements on sale and for 0% so it worked for me! later i scored my JD318 using the $$ i saved on the other Sears purchases...with 0% financing!:beatdeadh

give it a try:fing32:

its totally up yo you. if you want a BIG or small garden use whatever makes you happy. i grow extra and give what i dont use give away at work. nothing goes to waste. what i dont eat or can gets used by my employees or friends.

i'll tell you its VERY satisfying growing your own stuff. it taste better and is better for you. :goodl:

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I look at it this way I don't play Golf,own horses,own an ATV,mudbog or a dozen other
'accpeted' activities I love to collect and own garden tractors and related accessories.
So when I spend $$$ on my hobby I at least have something tangleable to show for my
$$$$ and something useful to grow healthy organic vegetables for my wife and I to eat and to can/freeze for Winter.Gardening is a lot more fun from a tractor seat than walking behind some tiller thats throwing dirt at me and trying to run away from me all the time(LOL)

·
Super Moderator
29,552 Posts
As far as renting, they charge $145/day here in VA for a walk-behind Rear Tine Tiller. I don't know what they would charge in KY or if there is a Machine Rental there. It's pretty rural, with the nearest store/gas station 20 miles away and "town" is another 5 miles.

in cases like that i would buy the tiller and just keep it maintained. if rental costs for 3-5 uses equal or exceed the purchase price and i know for certain i will need the item that many times or more then i always just buy it.

as far as size needed to purchase implements, anything larger than a small pot requires implements. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
120 Posts
Aside from what was already said, you could also decide to go with no till gardening or build raised beds. There are ways around most things if you do some research.

I'm with the camp though that says the only thing you need to justify a purchase is 1) do you want it and 2) is anything gonna get repo'd. You need 1 yes and 1 no answer and you're good to go.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
My garden is 40X100 with a 10 foot (+-) perimeter.

My wife is so happy with what she gets out of the garden, there is no limit on equipment purchases.

How do you plant asparagus without a plow?

You gotta haul the compost!!

So, my answer is;
"Produce the produce, the money for the equipment follows!!"

:drunkie:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
My garden is 40X100 with a 10 foot (+-) perimeter.

My wife is so happy with what she gets out of the garden, there is no limit on equipment purchases.

How do you plant asparagus without a plow?

You gotta haul the compost!!

So, my answer is;
"Produce the produce, the money for the equipment follows!!"

:drunkie:
That my friend, is, a garden! Nice work. Like the deer/varmint fence. :thumbup:

·
Registered
651 Posts
If my 104 was done i would have plowed and disced my 25*15 garden. I have the tractor and the plow already though.

I plan to turn it over with the plow this fall just for some play time and then ill decide if the disc needs to be purchased or if I just want to till it with my dads tiller

I also hope to get to plow my dads 24x50 and my grandmas 40x60 this fall as well just to play with my toy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts