My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup we need more pics of the crawler
Some more photos- its an old Westwood gazelle that I decided to put tracks on loosely based on a Struck crawler (never seen one here). The prototype was belt driven but they kept slipping so I used chain and sprocket with the vee belts as steering brakes on the half shafts. Its mostly bits and pieces from around the yard. The only problem is little stones in the tracks- I don't know how long the transaxle will last also- any advice welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
so did you build ur own sprockets. it looks like you did. ive bin wanting to put tracks on a gt justt havent found a decent tractor do do it too. ur turned out awsome.looks like it pulls alot

·
Registered
392 Posts
Very nice. do you belong to this group?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracklayinggardentractors/

What did you use for the front idler? I'm going to use the rear axle from an old Gilson riding mower.

I think the diff will hold up okay if you dont try sharp turns. use small turns with lots of forward/reverse. I've seen alot of these tracks with a hole drilled in the grouser. mostly for snow compaction I thought, might help with stones too? I bet they'd be allot stronger with some cleats(channel iron) bolted on.

Thank you very much for posting this. It's awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice. do you belong to this group?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracklayinggardentractors/

What did you use for the front idler? I'm going to use the rear axle from an old Gilson riding mower.

I think the diff will hold up okay if you dont try sharp turns. use small turns with lots of forward/reverse. I've seen alot of these tracks with a hole drilled in the grouser. mostly for snow compaction I thought, might help with stones too? I bet they'd be allot stronger with some cleats(channel iron) bolted on.

Thank you very much for posting this. It's awesome.
Thanks for the replies- Your track suggestion and photo is very useful. Yes I made the sprockets out of a piece of 1/2" plate- drilled a circle of holes that match the roller chain then cut across them on a lathe and then tidy the teeth up with a grinder. The front idlers are made from two discs of 1/8" plate with a ring made out a strip of the same and welded in between.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hey John, I just realized the "rear axle from a gilson" doesn't make sense.

I'm doing a belted track. I got an old conveyor belt free from a place I deliver to. I just need to make some bolt on brackets to keep it on the wheels and some cleats on the tread side. Like this.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Best replacement for the westwood transaxle im my opinion would be a hydrostaatic as axle found on turner flail mowers, wolsley clearway mower and many other small machines. It should fit nicely in place of the peerless axle but you may need to cut out under the seat void to allow extra clearance for the reservoir.
Im in norfolk awell may be able to meet sometime and swap ideas.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great crawler :thThumbsU My wife thinks my brain already has too many projects but.....what size roller chain did you use .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Best replacement for the westwood transaxle im my opinion would be a hydrostaatic as axle found on turner flail mowers, wolsley clearway mower and many other small machines. It should fit nicely in place of the peerless axle but you may need to cut out under the seat void to allow extra clearance for the reservoir.
Im in norfolk awell may be able to meet sometime and swap ideas.
Good idea

1 - 20 of 45 Posts