My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see several of you with nice gardens with no fencing. Here in suburban ATL I have a 7 ft fence to keep the deer out of the garden and have to net my blueberry bushes because of birds and squirrels. Do you guys just not have to deal with varmints?
RL

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
48" welded wire on three sides here with construction fence across the front. This allows for easy access with the Gravelys. Havahart trap for the ground hogs outside the garden. Pitch fork for the ones who get inside.

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
I don't even try in VT for this very reason Ralph.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,964 Posts
I see several of you with nice gardens with no fencing. Here in suburban ATL I have a 7 ft fence to keep the deer out of the garden and have to net my blueberry bushes because of birds and squirrels. Do you guys just not have to deal with varmints?
RL

Sent from the MTF Free App
We call them white tailed rats around here.

Try predator pee. That and a German Shepherd seems to have convinced them to find some other route.

https://www.predatorpee.com/

·
Registered
818 Posts
Two strands of elecgtric fence have worked well for me with deer. Now, if i could only get it to shock the crows!

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Deer dislike jumping from a slope, or onto a slope...

My garden has a slope around the entire outside of the 6 1/2 foot fence.

A deer has never jumped into my garden.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
John,

You do have a few dollars in that fence...

Ah, chain a junk yard dog out by the garden, they don't like veggies.

I did have a dobie who would dig carrots and eat them, called him the 'wonder dummy'.

Roger,

·
4,156 Posts
Deer dislike jumping from a slope, or onto a slope...
I bet Peter Wabbitt doesn't even dare look through the gate.:fing32:

So you graded the meadow for that slope all the way around John?

·
4,156 Posts
My daughter helped!! :fing32:
. . . . . . . That was 25 years ago,,,
Having seen it in person that was immediately obvious.

Deer are in our meadow up in VT constantly. Especially as we are not there all the time.

Were you aware while doing the grading, of the benefit to deterance of the deer, the slope would provide?

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Were you aware while doing the grading, of the benefit to deterrence of the deer, the slope would provide?
Yes, I had seen it over a decade earlier on my BIL's farm, he had several such patches for various "crops"

mellons here, corn there, green beans over there,,, etc,,,

he had over 1,000 acres, and put these little 100x100 patches where the best growing conditions existed.

They had the dozer to grade, etc,,, he produced all the produce for his family and all of his employees'.

The fences were far better than mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts