My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mr. Haney
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all those who keep gardens, do you use a pesticide? If so what do you use and what works best? In years past I've had plots of sweet corn destroyed by bugs and fungus.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
My wife uses mostly Sevin for dusting, but relies on the pheromone traps for the shiny green Japanese beetles. We bag them by the hundreds. She keeps a trap at each of the corners of her 50/75 garden. End of year will have trapped thousands.
Happy gardening...!

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
For all those who keep gardens, do you use a pesticide? If so what do you use and what works best? In years past I've had plots of sweet corn destroyed by bugs and fungus.
Hi hivolt07 ,

I use weed barrier mats for the weeds between the rows , Soap-Shield as a
Fungicide and Pyola as a Insect Spray , all Organic , I've used them for
years , they work great ... I get them from , www.GardensAlive.com ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
743 Posts
My wife uses mostly Sevin for dusting, but relies on the pheromone traps for the shiny green Japanese beetles. We bag them by the hundreds. She keeps a trap at each of the corners of her 50/75 garden. End of year will have trapped thousands.
Happy gardening...!
I used to religiously use these. Then I heard that those traps can actually attract more beetles and defeat the purpose.

I used them to try and save my grape vines - and when I stopped using them (but neighbors down the road still had them), the beetle problem almost disappeared.

ALSO - For those of you with infestation from ground attacking insects - my parents found that a 1/2 gallon cardboard milk/juice container works great, as the bugs can't climb the waxy surface. Just place around the young plant tightly pressed into the dirt.

Cut the top and bottom off, then cut it in half, and you can get 2 protectors from each container.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I will use a pesticide if I really need it. I dont have to much problem with bugs for some reason. This year I will probanly turn my Chickens loose in the garden a few days a week.

·
Mr. Haney
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Now, when should these (for lack of a better word) chemicals be applied?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I haven't had much of a problem with bugs and the only fungus problem i run into is some minor corn blight on my sweet corn. Try to stay as organic as possible.

mrcaptainbob where in southcentral mich. are you located. I'm in the same area. Located between Adrian and Hillsdale about 14 miles north of the buckeye
border.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Hi, Art. I'm in Hanover in Jackson County. The house is about 1/2 mile north of Hillsdale County.
Wid LT1000, I agree with that in that it attracts even more, but without those traps, her garden would be ruined. The pests I'm trying to keep out now are the groundhogs. Dang critters messed up the barn foundation and are feeding off her garden. "Mother Nature' (wife) keeps a rein on me from getting rid of them. Obligates me to find 'friendlier' ways of keeping them out. Rat walls for a garden just seems like too much to ask.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
What is copper dragon dust and where do you get it?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Your not that far from me. I'm just a half mile west of hudson, just into hillsdale county right on M34(hudson rd). Hope your garden comes out good. The main problem the last couple of years I have had are with Rabbits.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Well here you can buy it about anywheres they sell stuff like that,small feed stores,think majic marts even got it.

They got two kinds regular dragon dust,[its grey] and copper dragon[kinda blueish color],the copper is a fungicid added to the regular.Comes in about 3-5 lb bags.:drunkie:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Hi, Art. Rabbits are nearby, but are kept away from the immediate area by the cats. Sure wish I could train them to keep those dang Groundhogs away, too!
Did a bit of shopping at the Hudson Brickyard a couple years ago. I like that place!

·
Mr. Haney
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the responses. Now, when should these (for lack of a better word) chemicals be applied?

·
Banned
330 Posts
Well,I put it on my cabbage/brocculi/cal:drunkie: aflower/brussel sprouts,soon after planting[light dusting],kills fungus and flea beatles. Than as needed.

Tomatoes peppers,put on maybe once,same reason,potatoes when potato bugs hit.

Put it on when plants are dry and it ain't supposed to rain in 24 hours or so.:drunkie:

·
Mr. Haney
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well,I put it on my cabbage/brocculi/cal:drunkie: aflower/brussel sprouts,soon after planting[light dusting],kills fungus and flea beatles. Than as needed.

Tomatoes peppers,put on maybe once,same reason,potatoes when potato bugs hit.

Put it on when plants are dry and it ain't supposed to rain in 24 hours or so.:drunkie:
:thanku:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts