My Tractor Forum banner

321 - 340 of 417 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I have gotten my best bean crop off an August planting. Was still picking till the frost got them. If the green house was up lettuce and cabbage would go out in late September.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Most beans mature within approx. 60 days. As mentioned above, warm ground temps. will buy you some time, if planted right before a decent rain of 1/2" or so, or water them in well. I've had them sprouting out of the ground in 3-4 days, planting right before a good rain. Had bloom in 30 days, from planting date.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Had delusions of getting the garden tilled tonight. An unplanned oil change on my Trac Vac took away all my free time.

BTW, this would be tilling it to prep for planting something (TBD) for the first time in several years.

Being as August is next week, should I try normal vegetables, or wait to make it a fall garden? We usually get a frost in October, and a deep freeze in November, but August and September can be hot and dry.

Mike
Cukes, beans and zukes for now. Lettuce, spinach, etc. a little later. Hard to germinate and grow in heat. (71-75 day corn, if you are daring like me). Heat will greatly shorten the maturity to like the last week of Sept easily. It works in my location, I've done it several years. Corn needs to be Stewart's Wilt tolerant though this time of year. UMass says Stewart's Wilt is bad in the northeast, my area too. It hits mostly in late summer and the first of fall. Likely will have bugs, disease and worms in late crops of almost anything. Be ready.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Had delusions of getting the garden tilled tonight. An unplanned oil change on my Trac Vac took away all my free time.

BTW, this would be tilling it to prep for planting something (TBD) for the first time in several years.

Being as August is next week, should I try normal vegetables, or wait to make it a fall garden? We usually get a frost in October, and a deep freeze in November, but August and September can be hot and dry.

Mike
You could just start getting your garden ready for next year. Then you and it will be ready next spring.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Mike
Sometimes it is really hard to have a crop of anything in the fall like you said, hot and dry änd etc. Messes everything up.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well I did it again. Put out another planting of Silver King corn. It was 2017 seed so I'm not going to be out much other than a little fertilizer and nitrogen, if it doesn't make it. I've planted sweet corn the 3rd, 13th and the 27th this month.
Well here it is day 4. It's starting to spike through. Oh boy!!!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Cukes, beans and zukes for now. Lettuce, spinach, etc. a little later. Hard to germinate and grow in heat. (71-75 day corn, if you are daring like me). Heat will greatly shorten the maturity to like the last week of Sept easily. It works in my location, I've done it several years. Corn needs to be Stewart's Wilt tolerant though this time of year. UMass says Stewart's Wilt is bad in the northeast, my area too. It hits mostly in late summer and the first of fall. Likely will have bugs, disease and worms in late crops of almost anything. Be ready.
WHOOPS!! Stewart's Wilt is in the spring the spot diseases are this time of year as well as Rust. Just re-read my Purdue report. Have to have as much disease resistant varieties as possible this time of year for all vegetables planted later.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My green beans aren't looking so hot and now seeing this I'm motivated to try tossing in some seeds and see what happens. Had a couple decent harvests off roughly 8 plants so can't complain too much. Corn seems to just be bare cobs.

·
Registered
736 Posts
My green beans aren't looking so hot and now seeing this I'm motivated to try tossing in some seeds and see what happens. Had a couple decent harvests off roughly 8 plants so can't complain too much. Corn seems to just be bare cobs.
don't feel too bad, I only had about 10 percent of my corn come up for the second year in a row.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Picked off about a pound and a half of cherry tomatoes tonight and a couple green ones for frying. they're still going strong. broccoli lettuce is pretty well done.

I have summer squash and zucchini coming out my ears I actually probably give away 75% of my produce.

I just enjoyed giving it to people

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
don't feel too bad, I only had about 10 percent of my corn come up for the second year in a row.
Not too many gardens look like they did any good at all around here.

Stayed wet too long and too much water around the roots is worse than not enough.

you can always water your garden but you can't remove the water

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I am thinking about putting the green house up again. This time it will not be a self supporting structure. There was just to much wind here for it and just would not stay together. Maybe attached to a solid structure it will survive. I have a drip irrigation system and rain barrels. My schedule in the past two years has not matched mother natures one bit. As a result no goodies. I will build it this time so the wall panels can be removed once the plants are ready.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am thinking about putting the green house up again. This time it will not be a self supporting structure. There was just to much wind here for it and just would not stay together. Maybe attached to a solid structure it will survive. I have a drip irrigation system and rain barrels. My schedule in the past two years has not matched mother natures one bit. As a result no goodies. I will build it this time so the wall panels can be removed once the plants are ready.
I had one of those $120 hoophouses like 6x10 or so. It was nice. Had it on the south side of a 16 ft long mini barn. Had a 4x8 raised bed in it. Worked great for later winter. One day in the spring we had about 75 mph wind. Blew it 3/4 of a mile away through the field to the creek. Bent it up and broke lots of it. Thought I had it tied down well but guess not. Might put another one up sometime. Really liked it. Really neat going out there working in the lettuce and spinach in the raised bed garden with a foot of snow on the ground.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
A buddy of mine normally plants about a 1/4 acre of sweetcorn to sell, and plants it in a 7-10 day succession, so as one planting starts to get tough, there will be another coming on. With all of the rain we had, both are shooting tassle at the same time, and is way behind schedule, on being ripe.

They went to a local Amish produce auction hoping to buy some cheap enough to resell, until there was ready, but it went for $6.00 per dozen, so they came home empty handed. They normally sell their own for $5 per dozen.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My corn did the same thing this year. I planted with two weeks between plantings and it all tassled at the same time. This meant that I had a lot of undersized ears. It also means that I lost a lot of corn when a family death and some health issues pushed my picking back.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
736 Posts
My corn did the same thing this year. I planted with two weeks between plantings and it all tassled at the same time. This meant that I had a lot of undersized ears. It also means that I lost a lot of corn when a family death and some health issues pushed my picking back. Sorry to hear about your family loss, My corn didn't do anything this year so gave it too the neighbor who is amish and it did really well so he said he would save me a 100 ears, somehow they know how to grow stuff.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The corn I planted on July 3 is four to four and a half feet tall. You can feel the tassel in the worl. Should be tasseling pretty soon. 79 day corn. It looks good. Have had to water a lot since we still are not getting much rain. I think it's only had two rains with each being about 3.5 tenths since planted.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Have you ever tried making compost tea..?? It's actually pretty easy. I use 35 gal.plastic trash cans, then fill an old pillow case, or this year used new ones I got from ebay for about $1 each. Fill about half full with partially composted leaves from around the edge of my leaf pile. Tie a knot in the top of the pillow case, then tie a piece of twine around the top, so you can dunk it in the water, like a teabag.

It's ready in 3 days. Just dunk the pillow case of leaves up & down like a tea bag a couple times a day, once the leaves get absorbed by water. You can also use mushroom compost usually found in big box store garden centers. Last I got was around $5, for a 50 lb.bag. 1 bag was enough to last all summer, making 2 of the 35 gal. cans.

It adds lots of healthy microbes to the soil, and makes a big difference in plant growth. I got the neighbors hooked on it, after telling them about it. I told them to see the difference, only do half the plants, and see for themselves. His wife is loving it, and now uses it on all of their plants.

We've had so much rain the last 2 years, that it was tough to get dry enough to use it. In only the last week or so, I've started using it. Definitely making a difference in my second planting of pole beans. In fact, I have a batch that will be ready for this evening to put on.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Have you ever tried making compost tea..?? It's actually pretty easy. I use 35 gal.plastic trash cans, then fill an old pillow case, or this year used new ones I got from ebay for about $1 each. Fill about half full with partially composted leaves from around the edge of my leaf pile. Tie a knot in the top of the pillow case, then tie a piece of twine around the top, so you can dunk it in the water, like a teabag.

It's ready in 3 days. Just dunk the pillow case of leaves up & down like a tea bag a couple times a day, once the leaves get absorbed by water. You can also use mushroom compost usually found in big box store garden centers. Last I got was around $5, for a 50 lb.bag. 1 bag was enough to last all summer, making 2 of the 35 gal. cans.

It adds lots of healthy microbes to the soil, and makes a big difference in plant growth. I got the neighbors hooked on it, after telling them about it. I told them to see the difference, only do half the plants, and see for themselves. His wife is loving it, and now uses it on all of their plants.

We've had so much rain the last 2 years, that it was tough to get dry enough to use it. In only the last week or so, I've started using it. Definitely making a difference in my second planting of pole beans. In fact, I have a batch that will be ready for this evening to put on.
Sounds great. I assume you can do the same with manure or even mixed bagged manure from the store I guess.

321 - 340 of 417 Posts