My Tractor Forum banner

281 - 300 of 417 Posts

·
never too old to learn
355 Posts
Nice-looking garden, what are the big plants to the bottom left with the big leaves
Those are the tomatoes! They have green fruits, and today I found two ripe cherry tomatoes on one. In front of them is a chile pepper plant, and I found, to my surprise, we have some chiles coming along.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
What variety of tomatoes has such huge leaves?

Mike

·
Registered
501 Posts
Those are the tomatoes! They have green fruits, and today I found two ripe cherry tomatoes on one. In front of them is a chile pepper plant, and I found, to my surprise, we have some chiles coming along.
What? I've never seen tomatoes with leaves as big as a frying pan and that far apart. Looks kind of like healthy okra plants.

·
never too old to learn
355 Posts
What variety of tomatoes has such huge leaves?

Mike
What? I've never seen tomatoes with leaves as big as a frying pan and that far apart. Looks kind of like healthy okra plants.
If you’re looking at the new ‘jungle’ picture above those are just tomatoes in that riot of foliage, probably Big Boy but I can’t recall (too dark and dewy to look now). In the second pic from July 2018 those are Black Beauty eggplant in the lower left. Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you’re looking at the new ‘jungle’ picture above those are just tomatoes in that riot of foliage, probably Big Boy but I can’t recall (too dark and dewy to look now). In the second pic from July 2018 those are Black Beauty eggplant in the lower left. Sorry for any confusion.
Nice looking weed free garden. Great job! The little pony is doing a great job. How old is it?

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Eggplant, that makes a LOT more sense!

:ditto: on the weed-free compliment (and question as to your secret to success)...

Mike

·
never too old to learn
355 Posts
Nice looking weed free garden. Great job! The little pony is doing a great job. How old is it?
The tiller is 33 years old now. I really like the job it can do, even breaking up sod for new garden.

How old is the Tuffy? It should do well in the garden, too. I’ve gotten some good maintenance information here in the tiller forum as well as other online sites.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think we are looking at the wrong plants, I just can't believe tomato plants with leaves like that but then again with all the new variety now days it is possible.

·
never too old to learn
355 Posts
Eggplant, that makes a LOT more sense!

:ditto: on the weed-free compliment (and question as to your secret to success)...

Mike
Thank you! Last year we revived the garden after a decade or so of dormancy. The soil had very few weeds as it had been deep in leaves from small trees at the beginning of succession. This and Perseverance! The tiller made the soil loose so weeds that tried to grow were easy to remove with a little three-prong hand cultivator or just by plucking them out.

This year we added a longer cultivator and the scuffle hoe to our arsenal. We have more weeds to tackle as Nature, abhorring a vacuum, sent plenty of seeds our way.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thank you! Last year we revived the garden after a decade or so of dormancy. The soil had very few weeds as it had been deep in leaves from small trees at the beginning of succession. This and Perseverance! The tiller made the soil loose so weeds that tried to grow were easy to remove with a little three-prong hand cultivator or just by plucking them out.

This year we added a longer cultivator and the scuffle hoe to our arsenal. We have more weeds to tackle as Nature, abhorring a vacuum, sent plenty of seeds our way.
Weeds are a never ending battle with me.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The tiller is 33 years old now. I really like the job it can do, even breaking up sod for new garden.

How old is the Tuffy? It should do well in the garden, too. I’ve gotten some good maintenance information here in the tiller forum as well as other online sites.
16 years old. Runs great in warm weather but it hates to start in cool temps. Had to have the carb worked on once that has been it. It can be used right up next to the row without throwing lots of dirt. Maybe they are all like that. It's the only rear tine I've ever had. It does a good job.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I saw some of those tuffy 3hp tillers on ebay for sale but they are asking too much for them ($300-$400) in my opinion, I didn't spend that much for my big Troy Bilt tiller, Also some places list a Tuffy as a 4hp tiller so I'm not sure if they are the same are the newer ones are different.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I saw some of those tuffy 3hp tillers on ebay for sale but they are asking too much for them ($300-$400) in my opinion, I didn't spend that much for my big Troy Bilt tiller, Also some places list a Tuffy as a 4hp tiller so I'm not sure if they are the same are the newer ones are different.
I saw that on Ebay too. Not sure what is going on. Mine is 3 HP and it cost $399 new. Still has the tag on it. Bought from a JD dealership so they may have been a little high being a JD dealer. I thought it was kind of high at the time but it was still the cheapest rear Troy obviously at the time. My father-in-law had bought a Pony, or something like that, a couple years earlier and it was like $400-$500 more. I thought wow how can anyone justify that kind of money for a garden tiller. Yours I assume was still much older than his at that time range. He is gone but the tiller is still around with my brother-in-law. Looks rough though and has had some home made modifications. The only thing about rear tines I don't like is the deep trench they leave between each swath you take.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The late snow hurt us a lil this year some seeds didn't sprout
It's crazy! Something always happens. We had all that rain from about the second week in last November until the start of the third week in June, now hardly anything. We need rain really bad now.

·
Parts collector
2,990 Posts
It's crazy! Something always happens. We had all that rain from about the second week in last November until the start of the third week in June, now hardly anything. We need rain really bad now.
You can have some of our rain. It's been raining here since Nov of 17.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I saw that on Ebay too. Not sure what is going on. Mine is 3 HP and it cost $399 new. Still has the tag on it. Bought from a JD dealership so they may have been a little high being a JD dealer. I thought it was kind of high at the time but it was still the cheapest rear Troy obviously at the time. My father-in-law had bought a Pony, or something like that, a couple years earlier and it was like $400-$500 more. I thought wow how can anyone justify that kind of money for a garden tiller. Yours I assume was still much older than his at that time range. He is gone but the tiller is still around with my brother-in-law. Looks rough though and has had some home made modifications. The only thing about rear tines I don't like is the deep trench they leave between each swath you take.
I don't think $400 is to much for that new tiller, some people want that much for used, Are you talking about the trench from the height adjustment bar on the back?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah Im thinkin some of our problem was me. The weather man said rain was coming so I tilled, racked and planted in like about 6 hours way to fast and the ground was very uneven ended up with a very low spot in the middle. That's where most failed. And it ended up being 4" of snow not rain.

281 - 300 of 417 Posts