My Tractor Forum banner

Garage door Locked???

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Michael 
#1 ·
Just wondering how you guys do as far as your car garage with automatic opener and as far as locking the garage? This mainly applies to your wife and her taking the car out of the garage and using the opener. In most cases i would think it would be an inconvenience for her to have to lock and unlock the door then put it up. You want to have it locked for protection of thieves but how inconvenient would it be to have to unlock it and put it up, lock it back, ect?

I guess its personal preference but I'm just trying to gain insight on these things.

#2 ·
I don't lock mine when using the Automatic Opener. I do keep the door locked from the Garage going into the House. Only time I lock the overhead door is when we are going somewhere for more than a day. Not sure how they would get in pass the opener unless they got lucky trying to find the code to open it.

#3 ·
The only way I lock my garage with the automatic opener is to disconnect the automatic door opener at the top of the door and then slide the lock into place. The fastest way to get a bent and beat up door is to have it locked and someone forgets and hits the garage door opener switch with it locked, can anyone say new door.

#4 ·
there is a lock you cna put on the quick release which allows the door operate normaly, but must be manually removed from INSIDE the garage in order to bypass the opener. they sell them for a few bucks, but all you really need is a tie wrap or a short piece of metal clothes hanger to loop around it. the idea is just to make it so someone can reach in with a rod and pop the release.

#8 ·
oh ok, i was thinking it would open as mine do. I don't have an automatic opener on the mancave 8x7 door. I thought with the automatic opener it would be the same way.

I'm thinking if i dont get any auto doors opener, would it be a hassle for my wife to put the doors open and close. The guy at the place said the doors are easy as heck to get up and down. I guess I'm thinking of the convenience of when its raining and such. But i guess i will just probably see how it goes first and later on down the road if i have to add openers i will but not right away i wont

#9 ·
Okay, I see now. We went several years before we added ours. It did go up and down easily. Problem was hard rain and real snowy that the wife didn't like getting out to raise the door. The door should have a keyed lock that you access with the key from the outside, just like you front door. Lever on the lock on the inside will lock and unlock from there without a key. Just push the lever. :fing32:
How much the Door springs are wound will determine the weight you feel when opening or closing.

#11 ·
If you don't have an electric opener, you need some sort of lock. I also have a hidden keypad on mine to activate the opener if the remote doesn't work for some reason, or if the pass door closes behind me. I use 'Storeroom' type locks on all my exterior pass doors. They are always locked from the outside, but always unlocked from the inside.

#13 ·
without windows is harder, but not impossible since the opener connection is generally in the middle. you can't really get the door much tighter at the top, it has to have a little looseness just to open/close easily. that is why they have a rubber seal, to give it air tightness without locking the door against the frame. after watching this video last year, and never having tried it or heard of it before, i was able to get into my garage in under a minute. with just a little practice i could get in as quick as the guy did.

i have a buddy that showed me how to open any car door in under 5 seconds so long as it has a key lock on the outside. yeah, it will mess up the lock, but it gets in with less mess than busting the window.

#14 ·
I do not worry about whether the garage door is locked. You get in and my welcoming committee of 2 english springer spaniels can easily handle the problem. They do not take kindly to anyone in the house or garage that is not invited in my me or my wife.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.