My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Snapper is equipped with the 42" deck. Lately it has not been leaving a smooth cut. It appears to be leaving ridges or narrow stripes in the grass. I cleaned out under the deck, but the main grass build up was between the blades.
I noticed that while rotating the blades by hand, that there appears to be about a 2" gap between the blades. Yet if the blades were any longer, they would scrape the sides of the deck. Is this normal for this machine? My Craftsman has 3 blades, yet there is only about a eighth of an inch gap between the blades on it. Any experienced opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Could the blades have encountered anything that might have bent them? As far as the gap is concerned, most multi-bladed decks have the spindles located so that the cutting paths 'overlap' in the direction of mowing to prevent 'holidays' between the blades. I've found 'stair-stepping' cut levels to usually be caused by uneven/out of spec deck height issues. Spindle end-play & spindles not perpendicular to decks are also possible, but not as likely.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
i know mine come with in a hair of hitting but they are staggered to like the front one is a little farther front than the back so really the blades overlap by some.... sorry if that sounds crazy

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Did you install or have installed the current blades? or did the problem just appear? The 42" RER uses 2 21" walk behind Snapper blades,some one could have used shorter blades,I'm not an expert on walk behinds, but I think there is also a 20" blade,so using them would give you a gap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts